Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hello Kitty- Apples and Bananas Cupcakes

These cupcakes taste great without icing, they are low calorie and low fat, and really could be eaten for breakfast or a lunchbox snack! However, I have leftover icing from my Wilton Decorating class this week and Hello Kitty liners and Candies that are begging to be used!
I started by finding a Banana Cupcake Recipe that I liked from Disney Family Fun and then changed it up a bit to suit my tastes. This recipe makes 23 standard sized cupcakes.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Applesauce*
1-1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Teaspoon Wilton Clear Almond Flavoring*
3/4 Cup Milk (I used 1%)
3 Mashed Bananas (about 1-1/4 Cup)*

(*These are the ingredients that I changed from the original recipe)

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together the applesauce and sugar, then beat in the eggs, added baking soda and salt and alternately add in the flour and milk, finally add in the bananas, mixing on low until combined. I filled 23 liners about 3/4 full and baked for 19 minutes. Take the cupcakes out of pans and cool on wire rack until fully cooled. I like to put a papertowel on top of the wire rack so that the cupcake doesn't get grooves in the bottom. I find by cooling them this way the wrapper stays nicer and peels of easier.
I calculate these cupcakes (with no icing) to be only about 110 calories each with only about 1 gram of fat. I came to this calculation by adding the calories of all of my ingredients and dividing by 23 for the 23 cupcakes that I made and then doing the same with the fat. I am no nutritionist or I can't promise this is 100% accurate, but it should be in the ballpark!

I love cupcakes and eat lots of them, so I do try and make substitutions whenever possible to lower the calories and fat in my cupcakes and family and friends actually preferred the taste of the lower calorie/fat cupcakes. I have learned a lot of the substitutions from the Hungry Girl books, email newsletters, and website. You can have a low calorie/lowfat cupcake without sacrificing taste!
Try one of these before you decorate them, my daughter and I love them as-is!
I had Almond flavored buttercream icing leftover from my Wilton Class this week, so I am using that to decorate my cupcakes. I first made a ring around the cupcake with the bright pink with a size 12 tip. Then I put a 1M swirl on top of that, sprinkled with pink sanding sugar and added the Wilton Hello Kitty candy piece to the top!
Here's the class picture!

This Cupcake is linked to Cupcake Tuesday- where you can find new cupcake ideas every Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I bet the applesauce and bananas makes them super moist!
    Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...