Monday, April 18, 2011

Wilton Course 1: Decorating Basics- Lesson 3

CUPCAKES!
This week we are decorating 6 cupcakes in Wilton Decorating Basics Lesson 3. I am very excited about this because...I love Cupcakes!

I read in various places that prep time for these classes can be quite long and I have found for myself how true that is! I probably spent about 2 hours prepping, which is nothing compared to the time I spent prepping for the cake last week.  With class on Monday, it is hard to get the prep work done on Sunday, with weekends always busy and impossible to try and squeeze in on Monday before class. This week, I actually began the prep work for these 2 days in advance baking cupcakes. I decorated 18 for the family (you can see the ones not for class on my post Quick & Easy Easter Cupcakes) and then I reserved 6 in plain white wrappers for the class on Monday. I am storing them in my Wilton Cupcake Carrier in the refrigerator.

In addition to our 6 cupcakes, we need 2 recipes of the Wilton Class Buttercream, divided, colored, bagged, and with the proper tip ready to work. This sure seems like an awfully lot for 6 cupcakes! I made this 1 day in advance, since the day of the class will be pretty busy for me. If we wish, we can fill the cupcakes, so I am filling mine with Sugarfree Strawberry Preserves. I tried filling a cupcake earlier this year, and didn't get enough filling inside, so I am hoping our instructor has some tips for knowing when the cupcake has enough filling without busting in half! Total there will be 7 piping bags, filled, tipped, and ready to decorate with!

In lesson 3, we are learning the 1M Swirl (I have that one down!), Shells, Leaves, Drop Flowers, Rosettes, Shaggy Mums (I made these before for Cheerleading pompoms for birthday cupcakes since that is what they look like), and Pompom Flowers (which don't look like pompoms at all!) These skills will be used to decorate our 6 cupcakes.
These are the 6 cupcakes that I made in class! I had a hard time getting them out of the container that I transported them in so they didnt look as well as I hoped when I photographed them. I should have just used my Wilton Cupcake Carrier. Overall, I am happy with how they turned out and really enjoyed this lesson!
Next week is the 4th and final class for Decorating Basics- The Final Cake!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I jumped ahead after class and baked cupcakes and tried the methods in the book. She's a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I am taking this class currently, Lesson 3 is coming up and I found your blog on a Google search for what I'd need for it. I'm excited, hoping my cupcakes come out as good as yours did!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...