Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cupcake Bites

These Cupcake Bites are inspired by the awesome Bakerella!
Her book is another book that I have so many "want to do" projects bookmarked in, and this is one of them. They are easier than cake pops since there is no fussing with a stick! It is also a great way to reuse some of that various colored melted candy that you have stored in bowls, well you may not, but I do! It is all Candiquik which can be reheated and used multiple times. This is a great time to use leftover cake and frosting too!
Here is what you will need:
melting candy (Wilton, Candiquik, etc- about 8 oz for the cup and 4 oz for the dipped part)
a peanut butter cup mold (mine is Wilton)
When making cake pops or cupcake bites, I want to get to the fun part, not spend tons of time making the cake part! I also decided to go with a light colored cake so it won't show through my light colored candy. This recipe took 10 minutes at most to prepare. It is slightly altered from the Martha Stewart Yellow Cupcake Recipe. This made 31 balls.
1-1/2 cup AP flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (the original recipe called for butter)
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8" round cake pan with cooking spray. Put all ingredients (no special order) in stand mixer and mix on medium for about a minute, scraping sides if needed. Bake for about 35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely or overnight if you wish. The cake can also be put into the freezer to speed up the process of cooling.
  Once the cake is completely cool and you are ready to begin, crumble the cake up in a large bowl. (I believe the applesauce I substituted for butter made the cake a little denser, but it worked.) I cut the edges off first to keep the edges from discoloring the cake part. Then put 1 to 2 tablespoons frosting of into the crumbled mixture and mix it up.  (I had leftover light red frosting that I used which added color to the crumbs, it turned out to look pretty neat!) Shape into balls that would fit the size of the peanut butter cup mold that you have. If the balls aren't wanting to hold together, add a little more frosting, just enough to get the balls to hold together and chill in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

This is where things get different from cake pops!
Melt your chocolate according to package instructions. Working one at a time, fill the peanut butter cup mold a little over half full with your first color (I am using chocolate) and before it sets quickly press in one of the cake balls into the chocolate. Repeat until you have filled your mold. Once your mold is filled, put it into the refrigerator to set for about 15 minutes before unmolding, if the cups don't unmold easily, they aren't quite ready.
Once the cup part of the cupcake bite is chilled and unmolded, dip it into your next color allowing the 2 colors to just meet. Shake off excess and immediately sprinkle or decorate while still wet.
Since I only have one peanut butter cup mold, I had some in the refrigerator chilling while I was dipping the tops of the ready ones.
Total assembly time for 31 cupcake bites from crumbling cake to finished product: 2 hours
At this point you can leave them at room temperature for the candy to set up and just admire them!
Or...just Take a Bite!

These Cupcake Bites are shared with:
All Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday
Dollars and Cents: Sweet Temptations
Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Coupon Cookin': Tasty Traditions
Bizzy Bakes: Bake with Bizzy
Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday
Bacon Time: Party Mindie Style
Alli-n-Son: Sweet Tooth Friday
Tidy Mom: I'm Lovin' It
Mangoes and Chutney: Fat Camp Friday
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday
Home Savvy: Savvy HomeMade Monday
The Kurtz Corner: Tuesday Tutorials
Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday
Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show
Rook No. 17: A Little Birdie Told Me
Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesdays
These Cupcake Bites were featured at:
Happy Hour Projects: Monday Highlights
Bacon Time: Fantasic Features
Alli-N-Son: Sweet Tooth Favorites
The Kurtz Coner: Linky Party Features


  1. Foxy...these turned out like a PICTURE out of a book! Great job..I tried this once and they were saaad little things..I got crazy dipping them in the chocolate (pink top part) and so they did not have the nice edges I am admiring here.......

  2. Cute! I love the peanut butter cup acting as a cupcake wrapper!

  3. Look so cute and delicious! gloria

  4. These turned out beautifully. My one and only try at cake balls was a horrific mess. I was embarrassed to show them to my dog...
    Maybe this technique would work for me as well!

  5. OMG they look delicious! Thanks for sharing (stopping from the Happy Hour Link Party)

    mother crafter - handmade happiness

  6. I HAVE to make these for my sister's baby shower! I love it! Thanks for sharing! (Also reading from the Happy Hour Link Party)


  7. These are delightful and oh so cute.

  8. These are beautiful and much easier than the cake pops I learned to make at Michaels. I need to go look for that mold. Thanks for the fantastic tutorial!

  9. Oh my! Bite-sized treats are REALLY dangerous for me! Thank you for linking to Fat Camp Friday. Enjoy your weekend!

  10. So very cute and pretty. I'll bet they are delicious. I linked to you from Full Plate Thursday! Love your blog. You have some great looking recipes. Thanks!

  11. I love these. I'm always looking for bite-sized treats - these are beautiful.

  12. Goodness, I keep running across delicious dessert recipes. Blogging is going to make me fat!! haha! These look lovely though, I could definitely see myself bringing these to a work function or family gathering.

  13. These are adorable and look so delicious! Can't wait to make them! Thanks!

  14. What great little pink bites. Just perfect for a luncheon or tea. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

  15. Wow!Love the details of this cake bite tutorial...I feel I could do this...and I will since my son's bday party is this coming Sunday...thanks for this.

    Also, I would like to personally invite you to our new Rockin’ link party every Friday at RoCa and Company. Come and show off this super cute and yummy cake bites...seriously...stop by this coming Friday. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company

  16. I decided I am going to feature a pic of these too on Thursday, they are so cute.

  17. You've been featured today at Happy Hour Projects. Thanks for linking up at Freestyle Friday!


  18. You make the cutest treats!! I love these :)

  19. Once again, a gorgeous looking treat. MMmmmm!

  20. These look like so much fun! Come and share them with WorkShop Wednesday. They would make a nice addition to the party!

  21. These are so pretty!

    Your recipe is going to be featured on this week's Sweet Tooth Favorites, congrats! I'v also stumbled your wonderful recipe.

  22. So so so cute! I love these. Thanks for sharing them at Crazy Sweet Tuesday! :)

  23. This is a great tutorial! I have never seen cupcake bites made this way and I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing at Savvy HomeMade Monday!

  24. Absolutely adorable! I love how you used applesauce in the batter, and the creative way you used the pb-cup mold to make the cupcake shell! So beautifully done! Your link-up got so many clicks this week at Rook No. 17 -- and well deserved, too!



I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...