Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hello Kitty Cookies & Cookie Pops

Do you have a list? The list could be of anything you want to do. Well, I have a list that is just for baking, divided up into months and under each month I have listed what I want to do for that month. Some of the things can easily be carried over to the next month, but other things are for a particular occasion and must be done at a particular time. These Hello Kitty Cookie Pops are on that list and are something that I have wanted to make since spring and just keep carrying it over. I had them all planned in my head, bright pink with little pearls and the extra Wilton Hello Kitty Candies that I had bought at the same time I got the ones for my Hello Kitty Apples and Bananas Cupcakes that I had made back in April 2011. I couldn't put making these Hello Kitty Cookie Pops any longer! Besides, I have a little girl that loves Hello Kitty, and she has been asking for me for awhile to make something else Hello Kitty!
I do take my hat of to all of the "Cookie People" out there, the ones that are baking and decorating cookies to look like artwork almost daily and posting to their blogs. Y'all are amazing! Making cookies is a lot of work! I am not a "Cookie Person." They just take a long time! From making the dough, to rolling out the dough, to cutting out the cookies, then baking, cooling, making royal icing to the proper consistency, outlining, flooding, and waiting hours in between each color to dry! Hats off to you "Cookie People."
Anyway here I go, making cookies! I used the same recipe I always use: Martha Stewart's Essential Recipe No. 2: Sugar Cookies. For the cookies that I was putting a lollipop stick, I rolled a little thicker, thick enough to where the stick would not show through the cookie and the cookie would be stable. I baked the cookie with the stick right in it! I know not everyone wants to eat their cookie on a stick, but this is fun, especially for little ones! I made 6 cookies on sticks and had enough dough left for 8 regular 1/4 inch thick cut cookies.
I am only using one color of Royal Icing on this cookie to keep it simple. I halved the Wilton Royal Icing Recipe since I don't make cookies often and I didn't want to have too much icing left. I used 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1-1/2 tablespoons of meringue powder and about 4 tablespoons of warm water. This mixed on low in my stand mixer for exactly 10 minutes. I then colored the icing using Wilton Rose. With the icing at that consistency, I piped the outline on my cookies with a size 3 tip. After all of the cookies were outlined, I added 2-3 more tablespoons of water to the remaining icing to bring it to the consistency of shampoo. For the first time, instead of flooding the cookie using a piping bag, I used my squeeze bottle. I am not sure where I saw it done at, but on a "Cookie Person's" blog they had a picture of a bunch of squeeze bottles with all different colors of royal icing lined up on their counter. I really like this method, it works so much better than using a piping bag! It is easy just to put the lid on and take a few minute break without it drying out!
After each cookie was flooded, I immediately dropped the little candy pearls into place on the wet icing. As soon as all of the cookies were flooded, I went back to cookie #1 and glued on the Hello Kitty candy with the thick royal icing that I still had in the piping bag, gently sitting the candy on top of the cookie so I wouldn't mess up the icing. I did press the first one too hard and with the icing still wet and just crusted barely over, it messed up the icing a little.


  1. These are beautiful! I need to use the squeeze bottle method. I have using the piping bags (well, ziploc bags for me). Such a mess. Thanks for the idea.

  2. I am so glad these made it off your to do list because they are precious! I would stick them into foam covered with pink paper Easter grass and make a centerpiece out of them - they are THAT adorable.

  3. These cake pops are adorable! I love how you used Hello Kitty wallpaper in the background. I would have loved these as a kid because I was also a fan of Hello Kitty (never liked Barbie but HK was cool). Great tips.

  4. These are absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors and the Hello Kitty. :)

  5. These are adorable! I love Hello Kitty!

  6. Thank you for visiting my Whisking Wednesday party last week. I hope to see you again this week! These cookies are so cute!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...