Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hello Kitty! I'm still learning!

As a mom of a little girl...I couldn't disappoint when she asked for a Hello Kitty birthday cake last month...this would be the first birthday for her that I actually baked a cake for her instead of ordering it...remember this hobby just started for me a little over a year ago and I have basically stuck to baking cupcakes. Anyway as a prelude to her birthday I had started with the Hello Kitty cake pops pictured in my last post about a week before her birthday. A day before her birthday I made my first Wilton shaped pan cake. I was a little nervous about it, but it wasn't as hard as I thought! So my fear of shaped pans, has now pretty much been conquered! By the way, she loved it!
However, I didn't want to stick a candle in Hello Kitty's face, so the next morning on her actual birthday I baked a 6" 2 layer cake, strawberry inside, that the actual candle to blow out would be stuck in...I had just come down with the flu and really felt horrible, so not only am I not a cake baker, now my head was splitting and I had a high fever. Anyway, by the end of the day I finally got the cake decorated, and at 9pm she blew out her candle! I originally had big plans for this cake, but given the circumstances, it just didn't work out. But, I did finally bake her birthday cake all by myself instead of ordering it from a grocery store, and she of course, loved it!
These were actually only the 4th and 5th cakes I have ever decorated, not counting my 15 year ago all vegan disaster cake for my son's 1st birthday, and then I tried once again the following year and that was horrible too, after that I ordered from the grocery store year after year until making the Halloween cupcakes for my oldest daughters birthday in November 2009.
Growing up, I never learned to cook, bake, or anything of the sort, so I am making sure that my kids can bake and decorate! We are learning together! So far so good! 

0 sweet comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...