Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcakes

If you want Butterbeer...
You have to go here...
If you want Cauldron Cakes...
You have to go here...
But, if you want to make Butterbeer Cupcakes...
You have come to the right place!

I have tried a "Harry Potter Butterbeer Cupcake" before, but it didn't scream "Butterbeer" at all. So, I have turned to the internet for inspiration in making my own "Harry Butterbeer Cupcake" and I found a recipe that sounds like it will do the trick and doesn't need remade at all! The recipe is from Amybites: Sunday Sweets: Butterbeer Cupcakes.

Butterbeer Cupcakes
recipe source: amybites.com

Makes 18
 For the cupcakes:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cream soda
  
*For the ganache: 1 11-oz. package butterscotch chips
1 cup heavy cream

For the buttercream frosting: 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup butterscotch ganache
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 16-oz. package powdered sugar
Splash of milk or cream (as needed)

For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine your flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, cream your butter until light and fluffy. Add your sugars and beat until well-combined. Beat in your eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then beat in your vanilla and butter flavoring.

Alternate adding your buttermilk, cream soda, and dry ingredients in batches until all are well incorporated. Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full, then bake for 15 to 17 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool completely on wire racks.

*For butterscotch filling: In a double boiler (heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water on the stove), combine butterscotch chips and heavy cream and stir until completely combined and smooth. Cool to room temperature. Fill a squeeze bottle with ganache and insert into the center of each cupcake, squeezing until filling begins to overflow.

For buttercream frosting: Cream butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add in ganache, vanilla, butter flavoring, and salt and mix until well combined. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until reaching desired consistency. Add milk or cream by the Tablespoon as needed. Frost cupcakes and top with a drizzle of butterscotch ganache.
 
(*I actually skipped making the ganache and used butterscotch found in the ice cream section at my local grocer.)
---------------------------------------------------
I decided to make homemade dark chocolate frogs for the top of my Harry Potter Cupcakes.
Chocolate frogs began appearing in the first movie "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" on the Hogwarts Express. Each came in a fancy box with there own trading card and the frog would hop around and act like an actual frog!   
    These cupcakes were a hit with everyone!
The cupcake was moist and the butterscotch inside was awesome! The frosting drizzled with butterscotch tasted great too!
I actually knit this Slytherin scarf around the time of the 4th movie, according to the actual movie specifications, so this thing was 9ft long, I believe! I intended to make all of the scarves, but this one took so long, I never got around to it!
  In case you are wondering...
I had an amazing time at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
    
  Now everyone...grab your cupcake and enjoy the finale:
    

Be sure to visit:
  
These cupcakes are shared at:

25 comments:

  1. I am really, really enjoying your site! Thank you for the Butterbeer Cupcake recipe; I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man!! We really want to go there! How fun!
    And your cupcakes look amazing, as always!
    Thanks so much for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those looks so fantastic. My kids want to go so bad to Harry Potter World.

    Hope you can come by and share your recipe at Foodie Wednesday
    http://www.dailyorganizedchaos.com/spaghetti-with-faux-meat-sauce/

    I am featuring your Pretty Princess Cupcakes today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I have it printed and gonna try it this weekend. Thanks for the great recipe !! Stop by and check out my bread recipes. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that you made butterbeer cupcakes! They look so amazingly tasty that I wish I could eat one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great. We are going to Florida in August and I plan on trying the butter beer. Yum. Come over and visit us today. We have a great brushetta recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, these sound really good, and they look good, too! Wish I could have one right now. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you still have some cupcakes I found a recipe for Butterbeer you can enjoy with them....


    Rosmerta's Recipes - Butterbeer by Melissa
    Butterbeer! It warms you up AND tastes great. Now in take-away form from The Three Broomsticks. (Many thanks to Melissa for this recipe!)

    Ingredients:
    1 cup (8 oz) club soda or cream soda
    ½ cup (4 oz) butterscotch syrup (ice cream topping)
    ½ tablespoon butter


    Directions:

    Step 1: Measure butterscotch and butter into a 2 cup (16 oz) glass. Microwave on high for 1 to 1½ minutes, or until syrup is bubbly and butter is completely incorporated.

    Step 2: Stir and cool for 30 seconds, then slowly mix in club soda. Mixture will fizz quite a bit.

    Step 3: Serve in two coffee mugs or small glasses; a perfectly warm Hogwarts treat for two!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I linked up my own Harry Potter inspired recipe over at Mindie's party and saw yours...so I just had to come by. Your butterbeer cupcakes sound incredible! I love how you made the chocolate frogs to put on them as well!

    So pleased to "meet" you!
    New follower,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  10. Following you with GFC :)
    Hope you will link up each week at Bacon Time. Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi and thank you all for all the sweet comments! Welcome to my newest followers!
    @Jessica- the cupcakes are long gone, but I am going to try your Butterbeer recipe...it sounds wonderful!
    @Jenn- Stopped by your blog...the Pumpkin Pastries look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to share this with my Harry Potter fanatic friend, Julia. She will love it! I would love the cupcakes. They look and sound delicious. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    What a great Harry Potter Party!! This is an awesome cupcake, I just love the combination of ingredients, yummy! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Hope you are having a great week end.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so thrilled and honored to see that you linked up to my party with your incredible recipe!! Your butterbeer cupcakes are definitely one of the tastiest and most beautifully presented Harry Potter treats one can make.

    I'm sharing a link with my readers on my FB page.

    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, my kids would swoon over these, as they all just saw the last movie last night! Yum.
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your recipes with me at Cast Party Wednesday! I wanted to let you know your recipe was one of the top 3 most viewed. Check back tomorrow to see if you are in the #1 spot and if I MADE your recipe. Don't forget to grab a featured button! I hope you come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These butterbear cupcakes look delicious. I am going to make them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these look awesome, i've share on my facebook page and stumbled! love the chocolate frog too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So creative! I need to watch the movies so I can make these treats. :) Stumbled from Something Swanky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound so good right now!! Stumbled from Something Swanky!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com
    PS We have a link party every Saturday- we would love to have you come share some of your great ideas with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. THESE LOOK AWESOME!!! STUMBLED FROM SOMETHING SWANKY!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum, beer, cupcakes, what not to love! Stumbled from Something Swanky.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to eat these - NOW! Stumbling from SS
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...