Thursday, October 20, 2011

Caramel Apples (Improv Cooking Challenge #1)

Caramel Apples
I was thrilled when I was invited to the Improv Cooking Challenge hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain...a perfect monthly challenge for me that I could adapt to what I like to make...Sweets!
 
First Months Challenge: Caramel and Apples
Immediately, I thought Caramel and Apple Cupcakes of course! Then, I began thinking, I have never even had a Caramel Apple. I will make the obvious: Caramel Apples! I will even dip them in Candy Melts and make them cute! How hard can that be? Besides, I am probably the only person on Earth that has never had a Caramel Apples!
Ingredients For 5 Caramel & Candy Covered Apples:
5 Apples (rinsed and dried)
1 bag of Caramels
1/2 bag of Orange Candy Melts
5 sticks (I used Lollipop Sticks)
Black Candy Writer
1 tablespoon of water
  
Directions:
I started by opening the caramels, trying not to eat too many! I put the unwrapped caramels in the microwave with for 1 minute, pulled them out and stirred them. Then back in the microwave for another minute. Well, that was too long, they had begun to bubble over. This may have been because I forgot the 1 tablespoon of water, so I added that in, stirred it up and we were back in business!
I shoved the lollipop stick into the apple and sat the apple in the bowl of melted caramel, using a plastic spoon to cover the apple in the caramel. After each apple was dipped, I placed it on a butter coated piece of waxed paper.
Once they were all dipped, I put them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for the caramel to harden back up.
My teenage daughter made good use of the leftover caramel, dipping her apples in it!
At this point, I thought they looked pretty nice, but I wasn't done yet!
I melted 1/2 the bag of the Orange Candy Melts with 1/2 tsp of shortening (that is the white spot in there) in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power, stirring halfway. This is when things got a little rough! I pulled the apples out of the refrigerator to find they were still gooey, so I popped them in the freezer for a few minutes. I thought dipping them in the Candy Melts would be easy, well it is a lot harder to shake the melted candy off an apple than a cake pop! The Candy Melts weren't covering the apple smoothly either, as the caramel started to get soft again. So a quick dip in the Candy Melt pool and I used my finger to wipe off the excess candy...I am calling that the rustic look!
I drew the faces on with the Duff Candy Writer (just stick the tube in hot water to melt and draw away.) I made 3 like this. The one in the middle was the first and it kinda resembles what happens to a Jack-o-Lantern after it sits outside after Halloween too long!
I left the other 2 apples alone and sitting pretty!
(Refrigerate extras. Let sit out 15 minutes before enjoying!)
"You didn't tell me you were gonna kill it!"
(Quote by Linus- Repeated by my daughter Kaitlyn)
There you have it, my adventure in making... and eating my first Caramel Apple!
(Yummy, Sticky, Gooey, Sweetness!)



   These Apples are Shared at:
 
These Apple are Featured at:

Notice: As of 11/6/2011 sadly Lady Behind the Curtain and The Improv Cooking Challenge are no longer available.
As of 11/7/2011 A Big Thank you to Karen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker for taking over the "Improv Challenge."

24 comments:

  1. Oooh! I love the candy melt pumpkin design! I was wondering how you were going to get it all to stick together while I was reading the post! It definitely looks awesome - I am digging the "rustic" look - supercute. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love caramel apples, and now you've made them into the perfect Halloween treat! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy meeting you at this challenge,lol. I love them and I will be borrowing the idea....very soon.

    Bibi @ Frugal Wannabe Cooks (recipe #7)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your recipe! Thanks for participating in THE IMPROV COOKING CHALLENGE!! I can't wait to see what you do next month with Pumpkin and Cream Cheese. ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by and leaving some comment love! I love your blog. I'm going to follow you now!

    I have never eaten a caramel apple either!! How funny. I thought I was the only one :). They always seem really hard to eat- but I never thought to cut it. Ha. DUH! Yours are so cute! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness these look so cute! Stopping by from The Challenge. I'm a new follower :)

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so fun and festive for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable and I'll be making these with my daughter!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge recipe: Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are sooo cute! I love how you made them into pumpkins.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, and I would say you enjoyed your first caramel apple.....I have to admit have never had one...Nice post and cute pumpkin apples Andi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, how cute! Stopping by from the challenge, I'm #53.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great job. These look so cute and tasty. Come over and visit us. We have a terrific sweet potato Nutella recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the jack-o-lanterns!! The rustic look is great! I love caramel apples and I'm glad you were able to try your first one! What an excellent post for this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw your comment at Bacon Time, yes you are more then welcome to link up fall items at the weekly linky and at the Fall linky too. I don't mind if you duplicate. I am going to leave the Fall linky up all year, hopefully it will bring traffic to your older posts as time passes, and will be a nice resource for everyone. Thanks again for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so fun! I love the idea of making them look like pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute! I never thought of making them look like pumpkins! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute idea for caramel apples.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from Fat Camp Friday. How precious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are super cool! Found you through Sweet Tooth Friday. I would love it if you checked out my blog www.copingwithfrugality.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job and nice to share with us. These look so cute and tasty. I shared a terrific sweet potato Nutella recipe in my personal recipe blog and I hope you will like to make it.
    hediyelik eşya

    ReplyDelete
  22. featuring on thurs at bacon time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are too cute! I love that you made the caramel apples into a fun Halloween jack o lantern. Great idea for the upcoming holiday. I bet kids would love it ;)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/10/caramel-apple-marshmallow-dip-improv.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there!
    I'd like to invite you to link this recipe up for A Themed Baker's Sunday, Where the theme is Caramel! See you there!
    Cupcake Apothecary
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...