Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mummy Mickey Mouse Cupcakes

Made with Buddy Valastro's Vanilla Cake Recipe!
I love all things Disney! I especially love Mickey Mouse! When I saw this design from Disney Family Fun, I knew I had to make it, waiting for Halloween was the hard part! Of course I am always making changes to things, either to make it easier or to use supplies I already have.
Not only am I excited about making these Mummy Mickey Cupcakes, on the Rachel Ray Show (October 3, 2011 Episode), she announced she is forming an "All Star Team" to offer things she doesn't do herself. Supernanny- Jo Frost and Cake Boss- Buddy Valastro were the guests! Talk about ALL STARS! They are both great! Buddy shared his Vanilla Cake Recipe. The recipe is right there, click on it, print it, frame it! The only change I made to this, was not really a change, but something he did on the show that isn't noted in the recipe. He put half butter and half oil, so that is what I did! Following the directions exactly, this recipe involves a lot more mixing than other recipes, which is what Buddy says makes a "luxurious mouth-feel in the final cake." I could tell right off that the batter was smoother than any batter I have ever mixed and it tasted great! I was beginning to wonder if there would be enough batter left to make the cake! (Note: You are not supposed to eat raw cake batter with raw eggs in it, and you could get salmonella or something and get sick or die...so I do not condone this horrible activity! Do as I say, not as I do! Ahahahahaa! <----that is my scary cackle!)
Can you taste it?
Back to the regularly scheduled blog post:
Buddy's recipe makes 2- 9 inch rounds. I am using it for 12 Mummy Mickey Cupcakes and a Jack-o-Lantern Shaped Cake. The cupcakes were done in about 18 minutes. They peeled easily, didn't leave greasy liners, and had a perfect sponginess. I have NEVER had a homemade cake with such great texture. It is like a soft sponge...maybe that is why he calls his cakes "sponge" on the show? Hmmm...that's some cake for thought! Pillowy perfectness! I seriously can't believe this came out of my oven! Yummmmy! This is why Buddy Valastro is Cake Boss! Well, that and he can decorate the heck out of some cakes! And here I am making Mummy Mickey Mouse Cupcakes!
 
Let's get on with the cupcakes already:
Supplies:
cupcakes
white icing
Brown M&M'S
Dark Chocolate Candy Melts (Wilton)
a piping bag
tip 47 (Wilton)
 
Spread a thin layer of white icing on the cupcake. Place 2 M&M'S for eyes and 2 Candy Melts for ears. Fit your piping bag with tip 47 and fill the bag with the white icing. Tip 48 would work as well, but 47 gives you the option for smooth bandages if you want to try that. Begin piping your bandages!  It is helpful to pipe a bandage over the bottom edge of the ears and the top and bottoms of the eyes for stability. When the cupcakes are all done, the edges will look a little rough (as in the picture right above) so with a spatula or your finger, smooth the edges of the bandages even with the side of the cupcake.

These are easy enough for kids to make and yummy enough for grown-ups to appreciate!
Now, I still have a Jack-o-Lantern Cake to decorate!


These Cupcakes are shared at:
Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday
Talking Dollars and Cents: Sweet Temptations
Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday
Bacon Time: Party Mindie Style
The Southern Institute: Creative Me Monday
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday

Blissful and Domestic: Let's Party!
Life in the Motherhood: The Great Halloween Link Up
Crumbs and Chaos: Seasonal Inspiration
It's A Blog Party: Show Me How

11 comments:

  1. I love it! These are so cute. After your tutorial, I think I could even pull these off. I'll have to see if I have this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them grands are getting into mickey and these would be perfect to make her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look amazing! The frosting technique is perfect! Have you linked up with Creative Me Monday yet? It's open through Saturday... I'd love to have you! Here's the link:

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/10/creative-me-monday.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so darn cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, great minds think alike...I just made some Mickey and Minnie Mummy Cupcakes on my blog as well. :) Seems like your frosting approach is much easier than rolling out marshmallows. Oh well, my baby girl had fun helping in the rolling...so, I guess that's alright. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I'm a big Mickey fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute Mummy Mickey Mouse, adorable! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you had a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and creative! Thanks so much for linking up at Sweeet Temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the mummy Mickey Mouse recipe. So cute. I recently found your blog and now following. Please pop on over to mine and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would like that. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...