Monday, October 24, 2011

Martha Stewart's "Broken Glass" Cupcakes

When I saw Martha Stewart show these on the Today Show: October 18th Episode (Video Link) , I immediately thought they were the coolest thing! They are easy to make from stuff that is already in the cabinet. This is such a busy week and the last week before Halloween, I just figured I would file the idea away and make them next year. I usually stick to more kid friendly themes having a 3 year old, but when my teenage daughter saw them and absolutely loved them, I knew that I had to make them very soon (she is having mouth surgery Thursday- Field Hockey injury- um those mouth guards aren't perfect, even the good ones!) and she may not be able to eat something like this for a few days. Anyway these are super easy and very quick to make!
If you have been following Mrs. Fox's Sweets on Twitter or Facebook you already know this, if not I am sharing it with you now! I am trying to get a headstart on baking my teenage daughter's cakes for her birthday, and freezing them, so that on the big day I can just focus on the decorating part. For the top 2 layers of her birthday cake I am using the Cake Boss Vanilla Cake Recipe, so I used the leftover batter from that, for these cupcakes. I also used the Wilton Decorator Icing, since I already had that in the refrigerator. I am only making a dozen cupcakes, so I cut the ingredients for the "Broken Glass" down to 1/3 of the amount of the full recipe. If you cut the "Broken Glass" recipe down to 1/3, like I did, just use a nonstick loaf pan greased with butter to pour the clear caramel into, perfect size! For the dripping blood, I used a tube of Cake Mate Red Gel, heated in a cup of hot water.
 
You can view the Original FULL RECIPE at the Martha Stewart Website. I would love to have tried the cupcake and icing recipe that actually goes with this cupcake design. I have been a huge fan of Martha Stewart before I even had a clue how to bake. I did crochet her prison poncho, for myself, daughter, and dog too many years ago! I have watched her show for probably 15 years (until it moved to the Hallmark Channel, I don't have that channel) and I love her books and recipes, so nothing against Martha's recipe, just multitasking here!
These would really WOW guests at a Halloween party!

These Cupcakes are Shared at:

12 comments:

  1. Right on! My friend said she saw these on Martha as well. My kids and co workers LOVED them! Yours turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omygoodness I'm going to have to make these! They looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look amazing! I thought was real broken glass at first!!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful! I love them! They are so cute!(and kinda scary).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Great for a Twilight party too... :) Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creepy...but so cool! Thanks for adding them to Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out great! Here from TT&J!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are perfect treats for this week ends treats! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so cool! Thanks for linking them up at Sweet Temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe how real that candy glass looks! Beautifully done! Definitely a must try recipe and technique!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome. I so need to find some time to try this.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...