Saturday, February 4, 2012

Princess Castle Cake

It's official! My baby girl is 4!
She is a girl that knows what she wants and after a zillion trips to Michael's in her lifetime! She has had her eye on this cake kit for a couple years. She wanted a Princess Castle Cake last year and then had a last minute change to a Hello Kitty Cake. This year my little princess was sure she wanted a castle cake!
So this is where I have been hiding out. This is why I haven't baking up the sweets like I usually do. I had to start this cake 3 days in advance by making over 300 tiny flowers!
This Wilton Romantic Castle Cake Set comes with 32 pieces, none of which are ready to go on the cake. 2 days in advance, I covered the turrets in pink royal icing and rolled in clear sparkling sugar. I also outlined the windows and doors, adding sugar to those as well. I also baked the 2 layer 6-inch and 2 layer 10-inch cakes a day in advance.
Cake assembly day should be a piece of cake, right? Wrong! I still had to attach dowel rods to the towers that would be inserted into the cake with white chocolate. I iced both the 6-inch and 10-inch double layer cakes in white and then of course had to insert the dowel rods into the 10-inch cake to support the 6-inch top cake. I also realized I forgot to decorate the windows on the towers, so quickly decorated those just using buttercream and also added pink sugar pearls, which worked fine.
I used tip 67 to create all the leaves and bushes. Tip 3 for the stringwork and tip 17 for the pink shell border. I also made the mistake of attaching the turrets and towers before making the shell border, so I was having to work at piping it in all sort of odd directions. I ended up not using all of the pieces, some by choice, there just wasn't enough room! I also forgot to add 2 of the finished towers, and when I realized it, it was too late! Oh well, it still looked fine! If I were to make a cake like this again, I would go with a 12-inch bottom cake.
Back of castle
I did have little Disney Princess figurines to go all around the cake, but on our trip to Target to get the party plates and napkins, my little Princess decided on Hello Kitty partyware! By the time the cake was finished, the sun had set and I had no natural light to take pictures in, so I was unable to get the perfect picture like I had hoped for. Oh and the little bushes in the front of the castle, perfect to hold the candles! If not for those, I am not sure where I would have put the candles!
Front of castle
In the end it was all worth it seeing her eyes lit up and her saying "I love my Castle Cake so much, you are the best, thank you Mommy!"
Happy 4th Birthday to My Princess!

31 comments:

  1. This. Is. PHENOMENAL!!! You did an outstanding job and could whoop anyone's butt in any cake competition on the Food Network with this beauty. Your hard work and labor certainly paid off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I know that cake took a LOT of time to make. What a labor of love!! Fantastic job! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel accomplished! I love it and I'm sure your daughter was thrilled with her Princess Cake. I'm not sure if I would have the sanity to be able to make something like this. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I think you must love your daughter more that I love any of mine! It took a cake decorating class once and I must confess, I was a dropout. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prettiest cake I have ever seen in my life - BRAVO!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! What a lucky girl!! I hope your princess has a wonderful Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous!!! I would never want to cut it after all of that work. Hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy schmoly. That is the most amazing cake I have ever seen. I can't believe that you made those flowers one by one. Wow. You've outdone yourself this time!! Thanks for sharing at our LInk It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wow, wow!! This cake is amazing!! You have such talent. What a perfect fairytale for any little girl!! Thanks for sharing at my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning cake! Your little girl is very lucky to have a mama as talented and loving as you to hand make her a cake as beautiful as this one. I'm sure it will be something she always remembers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!! What a gorgeous cake. So many flowers - they were worth it - it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing! What a lucky birthday girl. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin says this is "ridiculous and amazing". I say it's what everyone will be talking about this week, fantastic work!! I always think there's no way I can be more impressed with your decorating, and yet... It's a FREAKING CASTLE!!

    I have no more words, that is all. Happy birthday to your princess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is some cake dedication! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cake. I love your color choices.
    Stopping by from show your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cake! Thats is amazing! What a lucky little lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! This is absolutely beautiful. I pinned it for inspiration since my daughter has been talking about a princess themed party next year. Thank you so much for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is completely stunning....I am so impressed, it is gorgeous and then some. Like gorgeous x infinity and beyond. You have to be so proud and your sweetie so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cake is extraordinary! Visiting you from Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that is amazing! She is a very lucky girl. Also visiting from Creative Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning!! Thank you for sharing this on creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is some really awesome cake. What great memories you're creating! Take tons of pictures to always remember this.

    I'm over from Creative Mondays, come by and visit me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my goodness that is the most beautiful cake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am I too old for a princess cake? Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. No you didn't! This is SOOOOOO AMAZING! You blow me away with your talent. Just pinned this and am featuring you this week at Taking A Timeout Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holly Hanna!!! I am in awe of you and your talent!!! I don't think I could make that if I had a year! It's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is amazing!!! You did such a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!! This is BEAUTIFUL :) Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Sharing Saturday. Hope to see you again this week.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is absolutely beautiful! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop; You are invited to come back:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/lobster-stuffed-mushrooms-show-your.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...