Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Elmo Cupcakes

It's ELMO!
This has been something on my to do list for 2 years now! I first got the idea from the Sesame Street Cupcakes at Busch Gardens. We spend a lot of time at Busch Gardens every summer and all of the characters have become like a part of our extended family!
I ended up settling on the Cookie Monster cupcake on that hot summer day back in 2010 and decided to recreate the characters myself. However, I just kept pushing my remake of these cupcakes farther and farther down the list. I kept putting them off until recently seeing Cookie Monster at The Weekly Sweet Experiment and that was enough to make me want to get moving on this project! My daughter had really hoped for Abby Cadabby first, but I already had the WhoNu? Cookies to use for the mouth and red icing in the refrigerator, Elmo was the character that I decided to create first!
These lovable little guys are super easy to make too!
All you need is:
Cupcakes
Sandwich type cookies cut in half
Orange M&Ms (I used Pretzel M&Ms)
White Necco Candy
Black Candy Writer
Icing colored red
Tip 233
In advance, heat the candy writer and make the black dots on the white Necco candies.
I also find it is best to color your icings a day in advance, because the colors do tend deepen with time. I had already previously colored the icing with Americolor Super Red, so it had time to deepen. Color it a shade lighter and give it this extra time, if possible. I have actually had a red icing that I colored and used immediately turn burgundy within about 6 hours.
Once you are ready to decorate, ice cupcakes using piping bag fitted with tip 233 and using a squeeze and release motion cover the cupcake. Add the eyes, mouth, and nose, and wallah! Elmo is finished!
*Note: I did find that after these cupcakes sat for quite a few hours the red began to bleed into the Neccos. I have already made the eyes for the next character as well, so we will see if it is just the color red or other colors as well. Upside down candy melts or cut marshmallows are another option for the eyes.
That first year that I began taking my youngest daughter to Busch Gardens, each visit she got a new mini character. Her first was this Elmo! Maybe I should go back and look at pictures and make all of the characters in the order that she got the mini of the character! I don't know if she would like that very well though, since Abby wasn't available for a very long time! She has always loved the characters, we never had the problem with her crying or running from them like some kids we have seen, she always ran to them! I can't wait for summer again!

Other Sesame Street Characters that I have made:



Featured at:

33 comments:

  1. Such fun - don't you love using a grass tip?
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are amazing! They look just like him. The frosting is perfect. Thanks for sharing Elmo on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the sweetest. I love Elmo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I really love your blog, everything looks great. :) I thought I'd share with you what I did to make eyes on Frog Cupcakes I made. I used a white chocolate melting wafers and then put a dot of black cake gel on them. There was no color bleeding from the icing and they looked great! If you want to see what I did you can go here: http://debbiesweets.blogspot.com/2011/12/frog-and-lamb-cupcakes.html. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE! I'm planning an Elmo themed party for my daughter's 2nd Bday RIGHT NOW ;) These would be perfect....well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how cute, I love Elmo, and yours are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are soooooooooo creative!
    This is beautiful - cute and adorable

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would get the mom of the year award from small one if I made these. She LOVES Elmo.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to join our Pin'Inspiration party this week. I'm hoping that you'll pop by tomorrow and share at my "Beat The Winter Blues" party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful!! I LOVE them. Thank you so much for linking to Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute!! I have a daughter who would love them. I would love it if you would share at our sharing party at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday-3.html. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I just have to have one, what awesome work you do. You are such a talented person, I always just love looking at your work. I wish you could hear me when I see the photo, you would most likely just laugh. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these. The frosting is so perfect, I wouldn't eat these. They're so pretty and look just like him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cupcakes are adorable!! My son would love them! Thanks for sharing at my party. I can't wait to see what you have next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you will join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! These are SO CUTE! I love them! They look absolutely AMAZING! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next week!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO cute! My son would totally freak out. He has a stuffed Elmo that's bigger than he is and he can't sleep without it. Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I love Elmo!
    As always, thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my flippin' goodness....your Elmo cupcakes are outrageously adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Elmo cupcakes. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elmo is being featured, this week, at Bake with Bizzy. He is adorable. You are such a talented woman. I must have said that before, at least a dozen times.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never even though to color the icing in advance - great tip! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for linking up to Show Your Stuff, Your invited to come back this week:

    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/01/show-your-stuff-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow!!Looks so cute... Thanks for sharing
    Midweek Fiesta

    ReplyDelete
  25. They are adorable little cupcakes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH these are so cute!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    -Courtney from terminallydomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. My Grandson Adores Elmo!! As he says, "Selmo" hehe:) He would flip for these adorable cupcakes! Thanks for sharing~ Lynn @ Turnips Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...