Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Butterfly Cupcakes

We all love fancy homemade cupcake, but sometimes it's nice to have something easy that you can make for school parties at the last minute or just an everyday cupcake with a little decoration on the top with very little work or time involved. These cupcakes were inspired from the "Butterflies in Flight" Cupcakes in the Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book.
I made the cupcakes even more fun and simple by using a funfetti box mix mixed with 12 ounces of Diet Mountain Dew (regular soda may also be used) and I also added some pink coloring to the batter. The soda is used in place of the eggs and oil called for on the box. Experiment with different flavored sodas to add some fun and interesting flavors to your cupcakes! I got this idea a few years back from one of the Hungry Girl books and use this method quite often for cupcakes. This recipe will make about 18 cupcakes filled 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes.
To keep these easy, I used pink ready made canned frosting for less mess and less work! I colored about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the pink frosting lavender and put it into a piping bag with tip 18 to make the stars between the pretzels that I pressed in. The heads of the butterflies are White Chocolate Easter M&M'S. In the book, black shoestring licorice is used for antennas, but after trying one with licorice, I decided to keep the cupcakes a softer color and not add the black, besides, I really do not like licorice!
Whether you are in a rush for a last minute dessert or just looking for an easy project to make with the kids, these cupcakes will do the job!



Feature at: Happy Go Lucky

25 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous!!
    They look soooooooooo cute and I love the coloring.
    The pretzels as the wings - fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Quick and easy makes for a fancy dessert here in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a "Butterflies In Bloom" exhibit at a local museum, and these would be perfect to make for the family on the day we go!! Love how these turned out and they even look easy enough for me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turned out really cute I made butterfly cupcakes for my daughters 6th bday!

    http://bakingwithgigglegirl.blogspot.com/2012/03/flutter-of-butterflies-happy-birthday.html

    Baking {and cooking} with giggle girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, sometimes simple is the best! Love these, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute, and I really must try a cake mix with pop one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute! and simple.. my favorite things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire your website is very successful super ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cheery, so fun! Happy SPring~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got to make these with the grad kids. So spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh they are so cute & so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cupcakes! Love the Spring colors!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute and creative and I love the idea of pretzels with sweets. Mmmmmm. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute. Now these I feel like I could comfortably be able to make this. I'm liked on facebook and I'm following via twitter. Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. I'll have some sweets to share this week at your link up party. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you used the pretzels! What cute butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are the sweetest butterflies ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is nice to have a cute and easy cupcake design!! What a cute idea to use the pretzels as wings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're absolutely adorable and I bet the salty pretzels taste great with the sweet frosting too!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cupcakes!! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Friday!! I'm featuring you today so head over and grab a featured button.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/seafood-crab-salad-show-your-stuff-17.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...