Sunday, January 22, 2012

Dairy Free Fruit Smoothie

How I start my day
Contrary to what people may believe, not everything I eat is filled with fat and sugar! I have also been asked "How do you stay so thin with all of those sweets?" Well, my answer, "everything in moderation!" I eat healthy about 90% of the time and bad about 10% of the time! I just like to make my meals count and save for the sweets! I do like to make healthier substitutions too when it doesn't compromise flavor in my sweets too. When I am decorating cupcakes or cookies, I am busy, so no time for mindless eating. Most of all, I try to be a good example for my children and for breakfast, my daughter and I have a fruit smoothie! I have found starting my day this way gives me more energy that last longer than just my pot of coffee! I still have the coffee too though and I try and stay active!
I used to have a large smoothie/frozen beverage machine and made banana smoothies for the kids all the time, using milk or yogurt and I just didn't like them that way. My old machine was also a pain to clean, it felt like a huge commitment just to make a smoothie. When that machine went kaput we finally replaced it with this Bella Rocket! I love the name! It came from Target and was only $20, so if it doesn't last forever, I am not out much! I am not trying to be an advertisement, but if you are looking for something like this, this one works fine! Moving on...
Here is how I like my smoothies:
Dairy Free Fruit Smoothie
1 ripe banana
a handful of blueberries
3 to 4 strawberries
a splash of carrot juice or when we have oranges I like using the fresh squeezed juice from one orange
1/8 tsp almond extract (optional)
(this recipe makes about 1/2 container about 6 to 8 oz if I guess, recipe is doubled in the picture)

I also like to add 4 or 5 grapes, but I don't have any right now. The fruits in our grocery store haven't looked the best and with prices up in the winter, I am using frozen berries (thawed). I fill a freezer bag and keep enough in the refrigerator for a couple of days worth of smoothies. I like to buy a bunch of bananas, let them go brown, peel them, and then put 2 or 3 in a freezer bag and squish them up, freeze them, and save them for smoothies. As long as the fruit is semi-soft, it won't need cut up. Fresh fruit does need cut up into about 1 inch size pieces. I put the grapes in whole. I don't always make it exact, I just kinda throw in what sounds good at the time! That's it! I put the fruit and a splash of juice in the container and let it go for about 30 to 45 seconds. With fresh fruit, I sometimes have to add a little more juice and sometimes I have to take the container off and shake it around to get the larger pieces to the bottom. I do like to add a little bit of almond extract to mine to give it that something extra!
So this is how I start my sweet day, with a naturally sweet fruit smoothie!


  1. I am a huge smoothie fan. Try adding a handful of fresh spinach - looks gross because it turns it kind of brown, but you don't taste the spinach at all!

  2. I love smoothies,this looks great :-)

  3. this is my new thing too! I also do what Lisa does... add a handful of spinach! :-)

  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe was featured today on "Today's Menu Round Up"
    Cast Party Wednesday! Please go pick up a button.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Paty Wednesday!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...