Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hello Kitty Giant Cupcake Cake

One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2012 is to make at least one cake a month. I want to do this so that I don't get out of practice and this way when an event comes, I am ready. This is my cake for January. Okay, to avoid any confusion let me share my definition of a cake.
Cake- noun- A sweet bread like baked good, made with flour, usually sugar and eggs, but not always. It is larger than a traditional or jumbo sized cupcake. The batter amount would be equal to the cake batter amount used for at least 8 cupcakes. May be made with boxed mix. This includes, but is not limited to 6" rounds and larger, 6" squares and larger, giant cupcakes.
I had a couple of options for making this cake. I have a Big Top Cupcake Silicone Giant Cupcake Pan that I have had for almost 2 years and never used since I wasn't sure how I wanted to decorate a cupcake of this size. I also have this Wilton Dimensions Giant Cupcake Pan, that I received in November from Wilton for participating in a decorating panel. Part of me felt that I should be loyal to the unused Big Top Cupcake pan since I have had it longer, but I have a few different ideas for that one that I can't do with the Wilton pan and I had already decided on how I wanted this giant cupcake decorated before deciding on which pan to use. The Wilton pan is also very slightly larger and I made a lot of flowers that I need for it to accommodate!
The bottom part of the pan took 4-1/2 cups of batter. The top part took 2 to 2-1/2 cups, I can't remember exactly. This cake is equal to about a box mix and a half, which fits into my category of being a cake. I premade the flowers with fondant. The base of the cake is covered in fondant as well, which to my surprise was just as quick to cover with the ridges as flat sided cake. I flipped the bottom part of the cake over to put on the fondant so that it covers the bottom as well, just like a cupcake liner would. The stars on the top part of the cake were made using Wilton tip 195.
I sure wish I would have been able to make something like this last year when my daughter wanted a Hello Kitty Birthday Cake.
Hello Kitty!
Goodbye Kitty!


I link up at these fun parties! 

Featured at:
A Little Inspiration
The Cupcake Blog

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is too sweet!
    Hugs,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable!!! love love love it! giant cupcakes are so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - LOVE THIS!! It's so cute as a giant cupcake - but clearly, it IS a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful!! I love it. It makes me want to drag out my giant cupcake pan right now and bake away. What did you make it for? That is a big cake! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! I keep passing on that pan because I didn't know how I would really frost the bottom, now I know how!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Really nice job of making this. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything in cupcake form .. the bigger the better too! Plus Hello Kitty is just plain adorable!

    Thanks for linking this up to Financial Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wondered what that little pan would turn out and now I know. That is just beautiful, yum all that frosting! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just gorgeous and I know any little girl would love to receive it. I am pinning this. I am a new Twitter follower visiting from Happy Hour Projects. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super adorable, any Hello Kitty fan would like this. Thanks for linking this up to Show your Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable is that?! Wonderful job! I'm so glad you shared this at Shine On Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is just perfect!!

    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
    Hope to see you next time

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow.. YOU DID IT AGAIN! Awesome and awesome.. I LOVE HELLO KITTY!

    Thanks for linking up at my "Create and Inspire" Party!

    You certainly inspire me!!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from Sweet Treat Thursday ~ I love the Hello Kitty theme for this cupcake :) My daughter is turning 4 soon and she wants a Hello Kitty cake. We may have to try and recreate this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what size tip did you use for the frosting . from sweetheartbakes

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...