Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pink Princess Cupcakes #20- Bubblegum

Bubblegum
This is Pink Princess #20 inspired from the Bubblegum Princess design in Pink Princess Cupcakes by Barbara Beery. I say "inspired from" because since starting this adventure of working my way through the book, the cupcakes I have made resemble her cupcakes less and less as I have taken them in my own direction. It's not that I don't love her designs, because I do! I am just trying to make them more "Me!"
The cupcake itself...was inspired by my lack of eggs today! So I was just keeping my fingers crossed that if I threw some basic stuff in the bowl that it would work and they would rise...and they did! I also chose to use water for the liquid and not milk or buttermilk, because the thought of milk with bubblegum flavor just grossed me out! They actually turned out pretty nice, better than expected. The cupcakes rose and had a pretty nice texture, and would be a good option for someone that needs an egg and dairy free cupcakes either because of an allergy or like me out of eggs.
      
Egg & Dairy Free Cupcakes
1-1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour + 2 tablespoons cornstarch (homemade cake flour!)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup Crisco Natural Blend Oil (this was a winner on America's Test Kitchen)
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp Bubblegum Flavoring (LorAnn Oils) -or- use 1 tsp of any other extract!
         
Put all dry ingredients in a bowl, then add wet ingredients and mix on medium low until smooth, about a minute. (I also colored my batter pink with pink food coloring.) Fill liners 2/3 to 3/4 full and bake in preheated 350 oven for 18 minutes or until tooth pick tests clean. Makes 24 mini cupcakes.
I used Wilton White Decorator Icing colored pink on top. I have a 4.5 pound tub of it in the refrigerator and it just works out easier than making icing from scratch sometimes! I also added 1/2 tsp of the Bubblegum flavoring to the icing. The balls on top are Whoppers Milkshake Strawberry Malted Milk Balls. They aren't as pink as I had hoped, but I couldn't find anything better to use and I didn't want to use actual gumballs, just to be pulled off and thrown away!
 About that Bubblegum Flavor? It makes for a very interesting cupcake! It seems odd that something that tastes just like bubblegum is actually meant to be swallowed!
  
The Next Pink Princess Cupcake I will be making:
S'mores

Be sure to check out the other Pink Princess Cupcakes that I have made!

*Note added 10/20/2011: The tip I used for the icing is "8FT" by Bakers Craft.

  These Cupcakes are Shared at:

These Cupcake are Featured at:


17 comments:

  1. your icing is perfect! what tip did you use... and did you just let the icing fan out before adding height? love the crisp look!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gloria-Thank you!
    @Miss Michelle- The tip I used is 8FT by Bakers Craft. You got it right! I did let the icing fan out before lifting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous.Love everything pink:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigosh! Another cute pink cupcake. They look so yummy!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful!!


    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. (found ya on a link party)
    wow egg and dairy free.. and taste like bubblegum. fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. theyre so cute
    what tip did you use

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Unknown- The tip I used is 8FT by Bakers Craft. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so unique~! Who ever thought of bubblegum flavoring in cupcakes. Yummy! And they're so pretty, too. Love them. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple yet so beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! These are so cute! You make the best cupcakes! These are just so simple and cool! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and delicious! Thanks so much for linking up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is cake flour really just flour and cornstarch?!? I never knew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Valerie- I am really not sure if there are additional ingredients in cake flour, I know it is more finely milled, but I found this as a cake flour substitute online, and it works well. You can definitely tell the difference between a cupcake made with regular all purpose and this cake flour substitute.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...