Sunday, October 30, 2011

Think Pink Cookies

Painting the Blog World PINK for a Day!
When I received the email from Marilyn from the Artsy Girl Connection about participating the "Paint the Blog World PINK for a Day" event, how could I say no? Sure we are all knee deep in Halloween right now, and an upcoming birthday that I am working on as well, I could go on and on about all the things on my plate right now, but then again, we all have a lot on our plates. This is a reason that we forget to do our monthly breast self exam, or to get our mammograms when it is time, we put it aside and say "I'll do it later." Which is a reason why I thought it was important to take part in this event, to remind everyone to take a moment for themselves and to remind their sisters, mothers, friends, to do the same.
Lesson 1: Step Out of your Comfort Zone and Don't Wait Until Later!
Early detection is the best way to survive breast cancer! Step out of your comfort zone and get checked! Your doctor should be checking you yearly and depending on your age or symptoms may recommend a mammogram.
For this PINK event, I am making cookies...also a little out of my comfort zone!
    
Lesson 2: Not everything goes as planned!
Left photo: original recipe. Right photo: original recipe with dough chilled and smaller cookies. 
I thought I had found the perfect recipe and it just was not turning out right! Was it because I used a different brand cookie mix? Margarine instead of butter? I tried to refrigerate the dough before baking, no luck. I tried changing the oven temperature and size of cookies, still no luck. I went back to recheck the directions for any changes and found I wasn't the only one with this problem. I just feel it would just be wrong for me to share that recipe!
Who knows the reason. Sometimes there is no reason and things just happen.
When life gives your lemons...make lemonade!
Lesson 3: Adapting
Life happens, stay positive! Be supportive for someone in need!
The original recipe was based on a doctored up sugar cookie mix with powdered sugar. In the end, I ended up adding flour and baking powder to keep these from going totally flat. I made a lot of cookies! Some were flat, some spread out too much, some were crunchy, some were soft inside.
Lesson 4: Surviving
Finally, I had adapted the original dough enough to make a cookie I could live with.
The final outcome was crisp on the outside, yet slightly chewy in the middle, much different than the type cookie I set out to make.
Sometimes with cookies, as in life, everything doesn't work out as planned, but then again this post is about Painting the Blog World PINK and raising awareness...not making cookies!
In the end they all tasted good, even the first few cookies that looked more like crackers!
The end result didn't look so bad either!
    
So you may be asking why didn't I just scrap this idea and make a recipe that I know more about and that will come out great?
My answer: Because...life doesn't go as planned, and as I was making these cookies, with the huge let down of the test cookies, and then things seemed to be getting even worse. I had to make so many changes to my original plan. The whole process really made me think of the woman who just got her diagnoses of Breast Cancer, she wasn't planning on, yet she must keep going....
  
 
Make Your Own Pink Cookies (Easy Method!)
 1 bag sugar cookie mix (plus ingredients needed on package)
pink coloring
white chocolate chips 
3-4 tablespoons flour (if you want to roll dough for rounder cookies)
 
In mixer with dough hook, mix together cookie mix, plus ingredients on package. Add in pink coloring. Stir in about 1/2 of a 12 oz bag of white chocolate chips, more or less depending on your preference.
Method 1: If you would like to roll your cookies into balls for a rounder appearance in the finished cookie, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of flour to the cookie dough and roll into balls, slightly flattening before placing on cookie sheet.
Method 2: Using no flour, just drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
Bake as directed on cookie mix.
 
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
But, Breast Cancer doesn't just occur in October!
 
Looking for a PINK idea and not into the cookies?
Check out my Think Pink Cupcakes!

Visit the other  Paint the Blog World PINK participants below:

3 comments:

  1. This is genius. I love your metaphor and those cookies look really good. If you have all those extras, maybe you could send them to all the bloggers in the linky... just sayin'. Yum.

    (stopping by from the ArtsyGirl's Linky. Check out my pink felt cupcakes at http://www.Tmuffin.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESE are amazing to look at and I can bet over the moon delish to have!! YUMMMY!! I love how great they turned out :)) You are SO talented and creative.. LOVE this.. THANK YOU SO MUCH for joining in Project Pink Today. It means SO much to me and I am very grateful you joined in with all the wonderful women today to make this day such an amazing and beautiful awareness day.. TY TY SO MUCH!! Wishing you a wonderful weekend.. ~Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fantastic. I am glad you didn't scrap this idea either.....you are so correct. Life may not go as planned but it was you do with the life you have that matters....LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...