Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chocolate Meringue Cookies

I know...I am blowing your mind not making some type of cake or cupcake!
I wasn't planning to bake at all today until I decided to pick up my Martha Stewart's Cookies book. Last year for our Wedding Anniversary, my Husband got me that book last year along with Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book, and my Red Kitchen Aid Artisan Mixer. I have made a few recipes from the Cupcakes book, but nothing from the Cookies book. I rarely make cookies at all, and even rarer is it that I make a cookie that isn't cut out into some cute shape and decorated with icing. So, I am flipping though the book and find a recipe that looks easy, I have all the ingredients for, and I just could not resist making it!
I only took a couple pictures during the process, one of which was when the mixer run for 10 minutes.

Chocolate Meringues
4 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

Directions
In heat safe mixer bowl add egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar and heat over a pan of simmering water, whisking constantly until sugar is dissolved, about 3-1/2 minutes, and until mixture is warm to the touch. Remove mixer bowl from pan and return to mixer. Mix, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Sift cocoa over meringue and fold in leaving slight streaks of cocoa.
Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Pipe onto parchment covered baking sheet. I used tip 8FT by Bakers Craft. I made some larger meringues with swirls and some smaller ones where I just squeezed, touched down and lifted up. These need to sit in the 175 degree oven for 2 hours, until easy to lift off parchment, longer depending on how big you make them.
Yield: 4-1/2 Dozen quarter sized meringues....I made mine MUCH bigger!
 
This picture is of the Chocolate Meringues before they went into the oven
The great thing about these Chocolate Meringue Cookies is they are made with ingredients that most people already have in their kitchens, it comes together with very little work and the clean up is easy too! Waiting 2 hours is the hard part! Oh, but the chocolaty aroma that fills the air while you wait is worth it! Once out of the oven, they can be eaten immediately or stored for up to 2 days in an airtight container....they will be eaten way before then!
This can be eaten by the handfuls...
CRUNCH and YUM!
 

  I Shared These Cookies With:

These Cookies were Featured at:

9 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make chocolate meringues for awhile...thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.The way they look:))) How do you get that shape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. Hey I have some good news for ya, hint I need to make sure I have your 125x125 button, :)
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/10/blogmania-winners-bacon-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piping skill is fantastic! Your meringues are so neatly piped with perfect shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs. Fox's Sweets- these are so perfectly pretty, I am impressed, I could eat them by the handfuls!

    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty, and delicious looking! I love meringue cookies. Linked to you from Fat Camp Friday. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm these look so yummy! Just wanted to stop by and let you know you were featured from last weeks link party! Go check it out and grab a featured button! :) Oh and feel free to link up to this weeks Link Party too!

    http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/10/features-no10-link-party-no11.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm here through Tuesday Tutorials @ The Kurtz Corner. Your featured Meringues look delightful! Your newest follower,
    Carrie
    www.projectpossessed.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your meringues sound delicious and I'm so impressed with your piping -- Perfection!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...