Saturday, October 1, 2011

Spooky Nerds Cupcakes

How could I resist this cute Cupcake Party Pack Set when I saw it at Target?

Well, actually I did resist it the first time. It wasn't that I didn't think it was absolutely cute, especially with the candy corn design, but I was thinking I want to make more creative cupcakes like the Green, Pink, and Purple Googly-Eyed Monster Cupcakes that I made a couple weeks ago. A couple days later when I was in Target there was only 1 set left and that is when I knew I had to get them! I hate when I let stuff like that pass me by and then it just isn't there! The set is by Wilton for Target. It contains 48 liners (2 designs) and 48 picks (4 designs) for $4.99, so that's a pretty good deal and they are super cute!
Usually, with a liner and pick set like this I would bake a vanilla or chocolate cupcake and ice with colored icing and just pop the pick in. This would probably get pretty boring, just making a dozen cupcakes at a time. (I have only been making a dozen at a time, so we always have fresh cupcakes and I can change it up frequently!) I didn't have to look far to get inspired, just the next aisle over in the candy section. SPOOKY NERDS! I plan to let the candy aisle help me come up with ideas for each set of picks in this set!
With the idea in my head, I did a Google search for "Nerds Cupcakes" and came up with many, mostly using Rainbow Nerds. Some just had the Nerds on top, others had the Nerds inside, which is what I wanted to do. The problem I read was that the Nerds sink to the bottom and leave a gooey mess. I knew just how to fix this! For the cupcake, to prevent the Nerds from settling to the bottom during baking, I knew I needed a thick batter, so I turn to one of my favorite thick batter recipes: Martha Stewart- Yellow Cupcakes. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and they are great for when you need a thicker batter. After the batter was mixed, I colored it a light orange and stirred in 1/4 cup of Spooky Nerds. A 6-ounce box of Nerds is 3/4 cup. I reserved the other 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top, which was way more than enough for 12 cupcakes!
I always cool my cupcakes on paper towels so that my cooling rack doesn't leave grooves on the bottom of the cupcakes, just a pet peeve of mine I guess. While I was placing them down, I realized that these Bounty paper towels, also a Target Exclusive, match the cupcake liners and picks! That same spider is a design for 12 of the picks! Target also has a whole assortment of stuff with this same theme, so great for a party! That must be why they call it a "cupcake party pack!"
The icing is made with 1 stick margarine and about 2-1/2 cups of powdered sugar plus 1 tsp clear vanilla extract and 3-4 tablespoons water. I colored it with Kroger Neon Green Food Coloring, it took quite a bit, but luckilly it is unflavored. Neither our local cake store or Michael's sell Neon Green at all, so the Kroger Neon Green is my only choice for that color.  I used the 1M swirl, then a sprinkle of Nerds, topped with a pick and done!
So, how were the inside? Well, the Nerds did not sink! Instead, they melted into the cake and left no crunch in the cake. You can barely "feel" they are even in there, they did leave a little Nerds flavor though! The Nerds colors being white and orange in an orange cake didn't help them to stand out either. Knowing now, that 1/2 cup is more enough for topping, I would recommend using 1/2 the box of Nerds in the cupcake batter for 12 cupcakes. Although the cupcakes didn't have the crunch on the inside that I had hoped for, everyone liked the flavor!

These Spooky Cupcakes are Shared at:
Crumbs and Chaos: Seasonal Inspiration
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday
Tatertots and Jello: Weekend Wrap Up
Itsy Bitsy Paper: Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas
A Place Called Home: Creative Halloween Ideas
Bacon Time: Party Mindie Style
A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Happy Hour Projects: Freestyle Friday
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Mondays
Home Savvy: Savvy HomeMade Mondays
Talking Dollars and Cents: Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday
Hoosier Homemade: Cupcake Tuesday


  1. I'm glad that you posted a recipe for 12 cupcakes. I resist making cupcakes because I get so "bored" after the first batch and don't want to make anymore. These are so cute. I love your cupcake holders and picks.

  2. So cute Mrs Fox!!! Love to come here during the week to see what's next!!! ;-}

  3. Those are so cute too, wow you just have great ideas left and right!

  4. These are so cute! Very "scary" indeed. Thanks for the recipe...I'll have something to do with all the Nerds that come home in my daughters bag of treats this year.

  5. these look like lots of fun :) come see what I shared at

  6. fun! i just saw those spookey nerds online the other day :)

  7. Cool party toppers. Kids love nerds. What a good idea.


  9. Love them! Kids of all ages {even me} love nerds!
    Thanks for joining us at Cupcake Tuesday!

  10. These are fabulous! Thank you for sharing them at our Seasonal Inspiration party!

    Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos

  11. It's been said that "You are what you eat" and I must confess that I've always been a nerd for Nerds. Your cupcakes have me squealing with nerdish glee!

  12. How FUN! Now I've got to go look for these Spooky Nerds! (I posted Nerd Cupcakes too today on my blog)! Thanks for linky to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS! (next week is National Men Make Dinner.... let's see if we can get lots of men in the kitchen cooking!)

  13. I love the color of the frosting!

    I would love for you to link this to my Halloween Traditions Link Up!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...