Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chocolate & Vanilla Cupcakes

Yummy!
Sometimes you just want simple goodness!
 
These cupcakes were started with my favorite Chocolate Cupcake Recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book: "Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes" in the printing I own of the book, but in our libraries copy of the book they are called "Allergen-Free Chocolate Cupcakes." I didn't start making this recipe because of an allergy and I am not vegan. I started making this recipe because that particular day I didn't have eggs! I have used this recipe many times since, including one of my Oreo Cupcakes.
You can find the recipe right on the Martha Stewart website and it is called "Divvies Chocolate Cupcakes," and it is credited to Divvies Bakery founder Lori Sandler. Whatever you choose to call this cupcake, it is just plain GOOD! 
I always substitute the oil in the recipe for unsweetened applesauce, but today I decided just to see what it taste like using the oil. Right off, you can't see the design on the cupcake liners, which when applesauce is used, you can. The cupcakes were very moist though...perfect!
By the way, the cute liners are Paula Deen!
  
For the frosting, I used a Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. I usually use Wilton Clear Vanilla, but for this cupcake I wanted the best vanilla that I could find, without too much looking of course! It is definitely better than imitation or even cheap real vanilla!
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Frosting
16oz box confectioners sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup shortening
2 tablespoons milk (water, if you want to go dairy free)
2 teaspoons Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla
2-3 tablespoons all purpose flour (for thickening to desired consistency)
Each cupcake is topped with a fondant heart brushed with pearl dust, made a few days in advance to dry.
 
These cupcakes were all I had hoped for...and more!
Sometimes I even surprise myself!

6 comments:

  1. These looks beautiful. I love the swirl and the pink heart - so sweet. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/07/sweet-indulgences-sunday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they cute?! Your frosting looks beautiful and love the heart additions :) I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are darling and look scruptious! Please share by linking your recipe up at Muffin and Cupcake Monday. Thanks!

    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-whole-wheat-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupcakes look divine! I love the heart decorations - perfect for Valentine's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking your delicious recipe up at Muffin and Cupcake Monday! Have a great week and hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...