Friday, March 25, 2011

Revisiting Red Velvets!

It's Flashback Friday!
This is a weekly segment that I post to show you some of my past adventures...

This week I will show you some of my adventures in finding the perfect Red Velvet recipe!
This quest began July 2010. I started with a recipe from the Paula Deen Website called "Bobby’s Lighter Red Velvet Cake" created by Bobby Deen. After beginning my obsession with cupcakes, I immediately tried to find ways to make them with less calories and less fat. Being the recipe was for cake (216 calories), and I was making almost double the amount of servings in cupcakes these were probably around 150 calories each...not bad given the "normal" cupcake can be close to 400 calories!
Here is a picture of the finished project, naked, and then with the Cream Cheese Frosting included in the recipe. It was July, and hot and not long after I began frosting them, it started melting, so I had to put them in the fridge to thicken it back up and take a quick picture, then back into the fridge!
These cupcakes tasted great and everyone devoured them quick!
I also had a lot of frosting left from me trying to thicken it, just creating more in the process...so the next day I decided to try Martha Stewart's Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe using the same Cream Cheese Frosting from the previous recipe, thus the same look. This recipe was a bit greaser, being higher in fat and calories, some may call that moist...sorry. When I just looked up the link to the Martha Stewart Red Velvet Recipe, some people liked them and said they were super moist, while others did not and used terms like "oily". Although we did eat all of them, they were not worth the extra calories and fat at all.
So those 2 adventures in making Red Velvet Cupcakes from scratch cured my urge to make anymore for awhile. The next time I made Red Velvets was from a box...Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix...around Christmas and... I had some leftover white buttercream frosting to use up. There is no oil...or eggs... in these cupcakes! With a very little bit of frosting...these were only about 150 calories at most. (I did have all this figured out wen I made the cupcakes, but I can't find the paper where I did so.)
The above cupcakes were moist....tasted great to me and were created with:
Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix
1 Cup of Unsweetened Applesauce
1 Cup of Water
and
that's all!
Bake according to box directions! Now this doesn't work as well for an actual cake, but I have done it with an 8-inch 2 layer round cake and it does work, they are just very fragile...I find the eggs help with stability more when you need to make a cake vs. making cupcakes. Anyway, this is my favorite way to make cupcakes and is good if you have an allergy to eggs.

So, again my Red Velvet craving was finished for the month. In January, my husband and I went out for dinner and they actually had cupcakes listed for dessert...so I had to try them! We ordered one Red Velvet and One Carrot Cake.  The waitress brought them out and...well...they were not very appealing to the eye, but they did taste good, not from scratch I don't think, but they were good, somehow they were missing something. (They are the cupcakes pictured to the left below.) The next day, I had to recreate them, only to what they looked like on the menu instead. Since I had previously liked the Duncan Hines Red Velvet box mix, I decided to use that again, only this time I followed the box directions exactly with oil and egg to see what they were supposed to taste like. (My cupcake is the one on the right.)
The verdict...I supposed I just have a taste for the unsweetened applesauce in my cupcakes, maybe because it cuts some of the sweetness down. I found following the box directions to make a greasier cupcake and not worth the calories or fat! Note to self...don't follow directions!
I bought cute little heart marshmallows for Valentine's Day, and then forgot about them until a few days after Valentine's. I had already made Valentine's Cupcakes and eventhough the day had passed, I was making more. This time I tried another variation with the Duncan Hines Red Velvet box mix.
I went with the "lower fat" directions just replacing the oil with unsweetened applesauce, still using the same amount of water, and the eggs that it called for. It didn't seem much different than the ones using all applesauce. Verdict...I'll take applesauce in those Red Velvets please!
If you have a non greasy, simply irresistible Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe...I would love to bake it and feature it right here! Low fat and low cal would be a plus, but not required.  Until the perfect recipe is found, I will stick with the box mix on this one!


0 sweet comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...