Monday, March 21, 2011

Crazy for Carrots!

I have seen the Duncan Hines Decadent Classic Carrot Cake in the store for awhile now. The real whole raisins and carrots made this mix sound like it would really be good, not to mention quick and easy! Today I decided to make them...but first, I never make plain looking cupcakes, so I had to think of a quick and easy way to decorate them with stuff I have on hand and different than my last Carrot Cake Cupcakes (pictured below)
July 2010
For this Carrot Cake Cupcake, I used homemade cream cheese frosting and the carrot was piped on with buttercream icing.

For the cupcakes today, I chose to use Wilton Candy Melts to make a candy carrot to decorate the cupcake. I already had orange melts, but didn't have green so I used white and colored it with the Wilton Candy Color Green. I first melted the white candy melts in my Wilton Chocolate Pro and colored them green. I just used enough to cover the bottom of the Wilton Chocolate pro, about 1/4 inch. Since it was just a small amount I just used a zipper bag and cut a very tiny bit of the corner off. Freehand, I piped the carrot stems. I sat the stems aside (which my daughter called frog feet), put the orange melts into the Wilton Chocolate Pro to melt, and then mixed the Carrot Cake batter up (using applesauce instead of oil), and got those into the oven.  By then, the stems had set up and the orange melts were ready. Using the same zipper bag method, I piped the carrot right over the edge of the stem so they would stick together.
These carrots only took a few minutes to do, I could have probably taken longer and made them a little bit neater, but I am just trying to make a quick treat, not take all day!
Cupcakes are out of the oven and smelling good!
As soon as the cupcakes cooled, I frosted them with the Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting that came in the kit and put one of the candy carrots on top.
Quick, easy, and from start to finish done in just a little over an hour!
March 2011
My 3 year old loves raisins and carrots, so she really loves the cupcakes!
I think the cupcake taste like homemade too, not the frosting so much, but the cake does! I may actually throw a couple little snack size boxes of raisins in them next time to add a few more, but this is really different from the other boxed Carrot Cake mixes in having real carrot and raisin in them!

1 comment:

  1. Super cute! Love how you used the candy melts to make the carrots!
    Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...