Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pink Princess #15- Pixie Princess

Pixie Princess
I have made lots of sweets this week, but somehow we are still out of cupcakes! So guess what time it is? Time for the next Pink Princess Cupcake from the Pink Princess Cupcakes Book by Barbara Beery! This is #15 of 28 designs from the book that I am making. Once again, other than a similar color and having a flower, my cupcake really doesn't resemble the cupcake in the book. First, I didn't have any real Pansies, so I went with Royal Icing Lavender Apple Blossoms. I also went a different direction with piping on the frosting. This book gives ideas that are very easy to take and make them your own! That really makes this book a lot of fun! I did use a recipe from the book called "Favorite Vanilla Cupcakes" this time, well pretty much, I changed it up a little taking out the butter* and adding in the low-fat margarine and unsweetened applesauce for less fat and calories and still good flavor! I also cut the recipe in half, otherwise I would have had 64 mini cupcakes!
 
Favorite Vanilla Cupcakes- Makes 32 mini cupcakes
adapted from Pink Princess Cupcakes Book
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce*
1/4 cup margarine (half of a stick, I also used low-fat)*
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup self-rising flour

Beat together first 3 ingredients until mixed well. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing between each one. Add vanilla. Add flour 1/2 at a time and mix on medium just until mixed.

Since I was making mini cupcakes, I used my Babycakes Cupcake Maker. It makes 8 mini cupcakes at a time and only takes 5 to 7 minutes to bake.
I had not used this recipe before I had to figure out how much batter to put in the liners. It turned out they needed to be half full or just a little more, 3/4 was too much. They do rise quite a bit. The cupcake maker cooks from both the top and bottom surfaces when it is closed, if the liners are too full, it will brown the top a lot. To start from being cold, it took 6 to 7 minutes for the first batch to bake. All of the additional batches took 4 to 5 minutes each. A few of the cupcakes seemed a little dry, others were perfect, so these are very easy to over bake, so be sure to check on them!
When I first got the cupcake maker I tried using spoons, spatulas, whatever I could think of to try and scoop the cupcake out of the hot maker. It turns out that a tooth pick poked into the cupcake will help lift it out the best. Also as you can see from the picture on the left, the mini cupcake liners are a little too small really for the maker, but they will widen out when baking, so the cupcake turns out a little bigger than mini size. Standard liners are too big.
For the cupcakes, I decorated them using buttercream icing and a Wilton size 104 tip. I then sprinkled white/clear sparkling sugar on them and topped with the royal icing flowers.
Here's my little garden of flowers!

Be sure to check out all of the Pink Princess Cupcakes that I have made!
 
The Next Pink Princess Cupcake that I will be making:
Fairy-Tale Fortune
  

These Cupcakes are shared at:

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog!!! I just finished the Wilton Cake Decorating Beginners Class and I start the fondant class this Tuesday (so excited lol!) and all your creations are such an inspiration! So happy to be one of your newest followers! :-) :-)

    ~Michelle
    http://www.michellebelanger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty cupcakes! I love the lavender! Yes, you have done a beautiful job with these. I really enjoy seeing what you will come up with each week. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These made my heart race a little! So SWEET! Love them.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lavender loveliness!! Really nice job once again! :-}

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look perfect for a princess love the purple in these as well come see what we shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I could eat these they are so cute! I'm sure I would get over that real quick but they are darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Your recipe looks really good! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love the purple piping. Makes me want to practice more. Thanks for sharing them at Crazy Sweet Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What perfect little peddles. I just love the soft colors, these are great for a luncheon or a shower. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cupcakes are BEAUTIFUL! The petals are impressive! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday and I hope you will come back and party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so pretty an YUMMI*__*

    i tried to make blues ones...look here^^
    http://jazzlovesmusic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cupcakes not only sound delicious, but look so lovely too! I love the way the sugar makes them shimmer and sparkle like magic! Very pixie-like indeed!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are adorable! I love the lavender color....gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...