Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"An Apple a Day" Cupcakes

An Apple for the Teacher,
You are the Apple of My Eye,
An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away,
How you Like Them Apples?,
Snow White ate a poison apple,
and then there was
The famous Twilight Apple from the Twilight Book
Apples, Apples Everywhere!
These Apples, however, are for Back to School!
 The design is from the "What's New, Cupcake?" book.
 But, before the design is created we must start with a cupcake! Liz from Hoosier Homemade made her back to school cupcakes this year from a recipe in the Martha Stewart Cupcakes Book. I thought that was an awesome idea! That is one of my personal favorite cupcake books, so I decided to do same. I just wanted to make enough cupcakes for the design, so I cut the recipe in half. Below you will find the recipe...halved.

Ingredients for 10 Applesauce-Spice Cupcakes
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/8 tsp salt (or 1/4 + 1/8 tsp...since I don't have a 3/8 spoon!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/16 tsp cloves (just eyeballed it using the 1/8 spoon!)
1/4 cup butter (I used 1/4 cup margarine)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs- room temperature
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional- I skipped them)
Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 6 ingredients (Flour, baking soda, salt and spices) in medium bowl and set aside. Cream together in mixing bowl, both regular sugar and brown sugar with margarine. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each. Add in applesauce. Add in flour mixture just until mixed. Stir in nuts, if desired. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out with very little crumb. 
Let cool.
 Supplies for Cupcake Decoration
canned vanilla frosting (I used Pillsbury Vanilla)
red food gel (I used Wilton)
mini doughnuts (I used Little Debbie)
tootsie rolls
mint leaves (or green pliable candy, fondant or green icing)
1 container of red sugar (I used Wilton 3.25 ounce)
black candy coated sunflower seeds (I used purple!)
While cupcakes are cooling, reserve 1 teaspoon of vanilla icing for the bite in the apple and begin coloring your canned vanilla frosting red with gel paste. It doesn't have to be red red, the sugar covers up most of it.
Frost the cupcake and then top with a doughnut. I used the entire doughnut just scrapping the chocolate off the bottom to make sure in adhered. Depending on the size of mini doughnut you use you may have to cut a little more off. Once your cupcakes are frosted with a doughnut on top, put them in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Put the container of red sugar in a bowl, I found a salsa type bowl worked perfect.
Working with one cupcake out of the freezer at a time, frost the doughnut topped cupcake filling in any spaces. Roll in red sugar. You will find after the cupcake is rolled in sugar, you can shape it a little better and then re-roll to cover any spots that frosting may be showing through. Top with a Tootsie Roll cut in half lengthwise and shape into stem. One Tootsie Roll makes 2 stems. Add fresh mint leaves by the stem, I pushed the in slightly with a toothpick. You could use green pliable candy, rolled gum drops, or fondant cut into a leaf shape, or pip on a leaf with green icing.
They remind me of a Snow White or Twilight Apple.
For the mouth bite, I used a small paring knife and cut out a circle shape and then filled the hole with the reserved white frosting. I dipped my finger in cornstarch to help push the icing into place. I just happened to find candy coated colored sunflower seed at the Dollar Tree store. They were only in rainbow colors. I tried to color one black with Wilton Food Writers, but that didn't work, so my apples have purple seeds! I just made one apple with the bite, if you would like to make more like this you will need to reserve about a tablespoon of white frosting.
I did save a cupcake for sampling without all the goodies on top. It is a little sticky (may be from something I did), but taste great even without frosting! This Applesauce-Spice Cupcake makes a great anytime cupcake. Once the cupcake is all decorated...it is quite messy, but super cute!
So that's it, the cupcakes that I made for back to school this year! It is also the beginning of the end, it is my son's senior year of highschool. It feels like I was just crying while dropping him off at preschool and here we are in his senior year, soon I will be crying again! That also means, another excuse to bake! I can't wait to start making graduation designed sweets this school year! I already have lots pinned on Pinterest!
Happy Back to School Everyone!

These Cupcakes are shared at:
The Kurtz Corner: Tuesday Tutorials
Crazy for Crust: Crazy Sweet Tuesday
Chef in Training: Tuesday Talent Show
Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked
Daily Organized Chaos: Foodie Wednesday
Pinch of This, That, and the Other: Whisking Wednesdays


  1. I think my kids would definitely be in favor of a donut and a cupcake! Super cute.

  2. so THAT is how those perfect little apple domes are made....you ROCK...I love the little seed window you made on that one cupcake. An apple a day would keep my butt big here! HA !

  3. OOOO! Super cute!! And the cake itself rose beautifully for a cupcake!

  4. Nice! :) But next time put some eyes on them. :P Will be even cuter!

    call Bangladesh

  5. I love adding applesauce to my cupcakes, they are super moist that way.
    Thanks so much for sharing them on Cupcake Tuesday!

  6. Those are so sweet! I love the seeds!

  7. These are just too cute! Thank you for linking to Fat Camp Friday. Enjoy your weekend!

  8. They are absolutely adorable! I found you from Sweet as Sugar Cookies linky party. :)

  9. These are great! We'd love for you to stop by and share them at Seasonal Inspiration Saturday!

    Have a great weekend!


  10. These are adorable! I love the flavor of the cupcakes and the decoration of the cupcake is outstanding!

  11. These are so cute! I grew up on an apple orchard so apples always make me think of home.

  12. These are just precious cupcakes, not only do they look cute, the inside looks good as well. Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

  13. I love the tutorial! I would have tried to pile on a bunch of frosting...duh! Love the little ghost face sticking out. Your did a great job! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

  14. these are so cute perfect for fall

  15. So adorable, too pretty to eat! You did a beautiful job with these!

  16. I love that the apple cupcakes are made with apples. And doughnuts. :) They are so cute! Thanks for sharing with Crazy Sweet Tuesday.

  17. I love these, no surprise I love all of your treats. I am going to feature these for sure on Thursday afternoon, I am going to have to remember to pin them too!
    Thanks again for linking up at Bacon Time, I truly appreciate it.

  18. You've been featured! Stop by and grab a button if you'd like! :)


  19. These are adorable!! These might have made the first day back to school more bearable for my youngest :)

  20. Absolutely adorable cupcakes! I love all the apple sayings and literary references too!

    The idea about using the mini donut for volume on top is great! I've been experimenting with applesauce cake lately, and will have to give my recipe a try with this adorable idea for our next staff appreciation luncheon at school.

    Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!


  21. this are awesome! I love them!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again with more great projects!

  22. Ask me how much I love these? Ok, you don't have to I am pretty sure you know....these are so awesome.

  23. Funny Kim, I thought I had originally made the comment about the ghost, so you saw it too! My daughter said that was the scary cupcake and wouldn't eat it!

  24. These are absolutely adorable!! Almost too cute to eat. :) I'm hosting a Fall Snack Challenge right now and I would totally love it if you would link these up!



I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...