Sunday, September 11, 2011

Green Lantern Cake

    
We all need a hero!

9|11|01 changed my Husband's birthday forever.
We will always remember that day. Brad hadn't been out of the military that long. He took off work that day for his birthday. I had just dropped my son off at school, he was in the 1st grade, and my daughter was in the living room watching cartoons. The phone rang. It was a dear friend of mine, Michelle. She said turn on the TV now. I thought she was crazy, but I turned on TV. I thought it was a movie of some sort. Just then, I saw the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower at the World Trade Center. I ran and got my husband and we sat starring at the TV in shock and disbelief. A third plane hit the Pentagon. A fourth plane hijacked, brought down by the passengers in Pennsylvania, dying as heroes. It felt as if the world was coming to an end. I thought my son's school would close early that day, but school remained in session. I just wanted us all together. When school got out and I went to pick him up, I continually looked at the sky. Dead silence, not a plane in the sky. My son's baseball coach called and said they thought it was as important to keep things as normal as possible for the children. I took him to practice, still terrified that something bad was yet to come. They practiced while us parents starred at the sky in silence. For the first time in my life, I knew we no longer lived in a safe place.
So on this day we remember all that died, all that died as heroes, all that lost someone, and the day our country no longer felt safe. That was the day that all Americans stood united and strong and put all differences aside.

Remember.

We will never forget what happened that day 10 years ago.

I thought long and hard on whether I wanted to post my husbands birthday cake on 9|11 or to post it on another day out of respect. For many years on this day, we didn't celebrate my husbands birthday at all or we had his birthday on another day. It is such a sad day and from that terrifying day forward it will never ever be the same. In the end, I decided to post his Green Lantern Birthday Cake today, on his actual birthday, and share with you what we were doing and how we felt on that day, 10 years ago.
  
This week, on 9-14-11, is the relaunch of the Green Lantern Comic Book Issue #1. 
The Green Lantern's Original Oath:
"...and I shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light,
The light of the Green Lantern!" -Alan Scott

We may not have a comic book hero to save us from evil villains, but there are many heroes that live among us. Many that emerged as heroes on that day and many that continue to protect and fight and give there lives for a better world.
"Thank you", just isn't enough.

10 years later...we are still looking over our shoulders...
We still need a Hero.

 With all that said...
Happy birthday to my super hero and dear husband, Brad.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your husband.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful post. Happy Birthday to your super hero :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO true...we have so many heroes among us~

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...