Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pink Skull Cake Pops

This is what happens when I don't have a plan!
I looked in the cabinet to find leftover Candiquik that I had colored pink...yep still hadn't used it it all from the Pretty Pink Cake Pops and Cupcake Bites! I am glad that Candiquik can be reheated multiple times and still melts up like it is the first time! I wanted to use it up so I could reclaim my glass Pyrex bowl that I had it stored in! With Halloween stuff popping up everywhere, I wanted to get in on the fun! However, I am apparently not very good at shaping skulls! Sure I have one in my own head, but somehow I am not very familiar with it! The recipe for these cake pops is altered from the recipe I used for my Chocolate & Vanilla Cupcake post. I did alter it quite a bit it just for these cake pops so it probably wouldn't be the best consistency for a regular cake now.

Chocolate Cake Pops Cake
(makes 12 cake pops)
1/2 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup water
 
Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 6-inch round cake pan with Wilton Cake Release or baking spray. Mix all ingredients together at medium speed. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out with very little crumb. (When using applesauce instead of oil, I have found the cake is slightly denser and the toothpick usually has a few crumbs.)

After the chocolate cake cooled with help from a visit to the freezer for 10 minutes, I crumbled it into a medium bowl and added about a teaspoon and a half of chocolate canned frosting. I usually just eyeball it!
 This cake pop cake recipe had a wonderful chocolaty flavor and worked great as a cake pop inside. I will definitely use it again! It was already kinda sticky and stayed together well. I did refrigerate them for about 15 minutes while getting the other supplies and candy melted. I had about 1 cup of Candiquik that I had already colored pink, which was the perfect amount for the 12 skull cake pops. It is very easy to remelt, about 45 seconds in the microwave. For further information on making cake pops...check out my Basic Cake Pop Tutorial. The cake was dark it showed through the pink candy, so I did have to double dip the cake pops in the pink candy. After I dipped them all once, I went back to the first one and went for round two.
I am not sure whether they turned out to be skulls, zombies, or bubble heads, but whatever they are they are PINK so my daughter loves them!
 

These Cake Pops are haunting people at:

5 comments:

  1. OH! NICE!! Ha! Ha! I LOVE it!!! Right up my alley, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lovely lady.
    Iam new on your blog so sweet. I need to do the cake pops for my two sweet little girls next door to me..
    Im also your newest follower on your blog now. I will come back to see more from you sweet lady. I hope you can come over and see my Tablescapes I do. Have a great week also.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny and cute. Never thought of scary and pretty in pink - great idea.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. spooooooooooooooky but cool! Great job Foxy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! It reminds me of Raggedy Ann without the hair. All you need is some red licorice for the hair.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...