Monday, May 23, 2011

Princess Brownie Pops

Today I am making my first Brownie Pops!
 I am using the Wilton Brownie Pops 8-Cavity Silicone Mold to bake the brownies in. Unlike cake pops, these are actually baked right into the shape and halfway through baking you insert the stick, so this eliminates a couple of the steps needed to make cake pops.
First prepare the brownie mix as directed on the box. I used a Duncan Hines Snack Size mix. It made 13 brownie pops, perfect number for decorating! However, I just have one brownie pop pan, so I am going through the steps twice. Make sure you have the racks in your oven far enough apart in the oven to accommodate the stick once you insert it won't want to be rearranging the racks once the oven is on! Preheat oven according to your box directions.
According to the directions on the sleeve that the brownie pop mold comes in, I needed to spray the cavities with cooking spray and then fill the cavities 2/3 full with batter and bake 10-15 minutes and then remove and insert cookie sticks (I used 6 inch sticks), place back in the oven and bake another 15-20 minutes. The first batch, I pulled out at 10 minutes and inserted the stick and a couple sticks came out leaning in the end, so wait the full 15 minutes before inserting sticks. To fix the leans I have removed the sticks and will insert it with melted candy melts as I would a regular cake pop. I let the pops sit in the pan for about 10 minutes to cool before removing them, they unmolded very easily.
Once all of your brownie pops are cooled, it is just like making cake pops! Melt your candy melts in your Wilton Chocolate Pro. I also colored my Wilton Pink Candy Melts a little pinker with Wilton Candy Coloring. Dip your brownie pop, gently shaking off any excess and placing in your holder to dry.

Overall, that was easier said than done...and I have been successful at making cake pops in the past...however today the brownie pops weren't quite working out as planned. Before dipping and during dipping, the brownies wanted to slide down the sticks, they wanted to fall off the sticks, and for some reason the melting candy wasn't sticking to the brownie as nicely as I wanted either. Maybe it is due to the warm weather, high humidity, and rain today? I ended up gluing around the stick with candy melts and popping them in the refrigerator to set.  I will give the Brownie Pop Silicone pan another chance with the sticks, but right now I think I should have cooked the brownies without the stick and when they were done continued on as if creating an actual cake pop, with inserting the stick dipped in candy melts, chilling, etc.  

I am using the Wilton Princess Pops Fun Pix and had read that it does work best if you go ahead and insert the pix before the chocolate/candy sets to avoid cracking. I used a small knife to cut a small slit before inserting the pick to make this a little easier.
  Since I only had 13 brownie pops to begin with and 2 packs of the Princess pix (8 in each pack), I decided just to make the Pink Princesses today and to save Purple Princesses for another day. 
I even tried to dip one in without a stick! However, I was unable to shake it off without making a mess of things. The dress was nice a flowy, but my piping with too thick of icing made a mess of that!
After the melting candy had set, I used a size 2 tip and Royal Icing to pipe some designs onto the Princess dresses. My piping skills still need some work!
Here are the Princesses decorated with Royal Icing and a Size 2 tip
In the Wilton- "Pops! Sweets on a Stick" book they show the Princess pix pops with the stick coming out of the bottom and the pick on the I have done...mostly. On the package of the Wilton Princess Pops Fun Pix they have the brownie pop sitting on a flat surface with both the pick and stick coming out the top. Maybe it would have been easier with the stick and pick coming out of the top.

Lesson learned- "if life gives you lemons.... someone will like them."
My little Princess thought these Princess Pops were perfect! I have to admit...they tasted great!

View My Cake Pop Posts
Basic Cake Pop Tutorial
Owl Cake Pops
and if you don't want to make them or they don't turn out get
Starbucks Cake Pops

0 sweet comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...