Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wilton Course 2: Flowers and Cake Design- Lesson 2

In Lesson 2 we will learn to make Apple Blossoms, Primroses, and Violets.
Primrose; Apple Blossom; Violet; Daffodil
In preparation for Lesson 2, I needed to make 2 batches of Royal Icing. This will be enough icing to complete the entire course! Our instructor had us do both batches at once so we would only have to do it ONCE! Royal Icing can sit (covered) at room temperature for 2 weeks.
Royal Icing is very easy to make. The only thing is you need to make sure EVERYTHING REMAINS GREASE-FREE! Use glass bowls since plastic is porous and even just a minuscule amount can ruin the recipe! (I have not tested this theory, but surely didn't want to risk it!) To make Royal Icing you use 1 pound of confectioners sugar (get a 1 lb box instead of measuring!), 3 Tablespoons Meringue Powder, and 5 Tablespoons water (the recipes calls for 7-10T water, but it is easier to thin it out than to thicken it up, so our instructor had us use just 5T water). Put all of that in a mixing bowl bowl and mix on the slowest speed for exactly 10 minutes. That makes1 batch of royal icing, so I did this twice leaving 1 batch white for future use.

Tips Needed
The Apple Blossom will use tips 101 for the petals and tip 1 for the dots.
The Primrose will use tips 103 for the petals, tip 14 for the star, and tip 1 for the dot.
The Violet will use tips 59degrees for the petals and tip 1 for the dots.

Amounts of Royal Icing Needed
1 cup of Pink Royal Icing for the Apple Blossom Petals, Apple Blossom dots, and Primrose Petals.
1/2 cup Lavender Royal Icing for the Violets.
1/4 cup Yellow Royal Icing for the Apple Blossom Star, and the dots on the Primroses and Violets.
(These can be made in whichever colors you wish, I just tried to use as few as possible!)

Lesson 2 was so much fun and the flowers were so simple! I really had a great time learning to make them!
I do think the Apple Blossom (petal tip 101) and Violet (petal tip 59degrees) look very similar but the petals turn up a little on the Violet.
From Left to Right: Primrose; Apple Blossom; Violet
Our class was doing so awesome with the flowers, our instructor decided to go ahead and teach us a couple more flowers!
The other flowers we learned were:
The Daffodil- Tip 104 for the petals, tip 3 for the circular shape and 1 for the zigzag in the center (these should be yellow, but I just used pink since I had already used those tips with pink)
The Rosebud- Tip 104 for the petals (We made this flower on the practice board and then scooped back into our bags, so I forgot to photograph it before I did so!)
Daffodil

***The morning after the class I took the picture with the black background, still can't get them off the papers. I have read it is best to wait a couple days to remove them. I tried to remove one and it started to crack. With luck, in a few days I will be able to photograph some of them without the papers :)***

Next Week: We will learn the Tiger Lily, Basketweave, and Reverse Shell border! We will also be practicing the flowers that we have already learned!


My Previous Classes
View the Wilton Website for more class information

0 sweet comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...