Sunday, May 29, 2011

Just Cupcakes- An Upscale Cupcakery

Today's adventure took me to a little place in Virginia Beach called "Just Cupcakes!"

Just Cupcakes is a cute little shopping center cupcakery. It is bright and inviting! They have a few little tables to allow you to "dine in" and they also have cute tshirts for sale. If having cupcakes delivered is your thing, they do have a van and deliver larger orders for a small fee. "Just Cupcakes" has 2 locations, both in Virginia Beach. Each day they have a different selection of cupcakes available. Their menu is is viewable on the Just Cupcake Website. You can also find them on Facebook at the Just Cupcakes Facebook Page. Working at a cute little place like this or any cupcakery for that matter must be heaven! I can't imagine not wanting to wake up and look at cupcakes all day! Looking at the display at Just Cupcakes makes you just want to get lost staring at the cupcakes! I should have taken a picture of that! Next time I will!...YES, there will be a next time!
The flavors that I picked today were:
"Happy Birthday"- a yellow cake with there signature vanilla bean buttercream. There are sprinkles and edible glitter on this cupcake! Super Cute! The frosting was super yummy too!
"Seriously Strawberry"- a strawberry cake with strawberry buttercream with a little pink flower on top. Self explanatory, it tasted like strawberry...what can I say?
 "Chocolate Peanut Butter"- which is a Guittard milk chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting topped with a Hershey Kiss! The frosting reminded me of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!
"M's"- a Callebaut Chocolate cake with buttercream icing and tons of M&M minis! This cake was very chocolaty and perfect with the M&M's minis!
I have had a couple of my elves scope this place out before and they didn't care much for the cupcakes. My elves noted that the cupcake seemed smaller than other cupcakeries and there was not enough icing. After all it is better to have too much icing than too little, you can take it off, but you can't put more on!
After my visit, I do have to say that "Just Cupcakes" has there icing down to an art...we loved the icing on every single cupcake! Nice consistency on the icing and decent amount of icing on most of the cupcakes, but the icing didn't reach the edges on a couple of the cupcakes leaving bites of cake and no icing. I would have to agree with my elves about the amount. The cupcakes themselves, although they tasted good and had good flavor, were very crumbly with the texture, light in weight resembling that of a box mix. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just an observation! With all the cupcakes devoured, it did leave me wanting more! Visually, the cupcakes are appealing in their bright pink liners, nice decorations, and a touch of color. Each cupcake has its own personality, piping style, decoration. 
If a cupcake looks good, it makes people want it!

I have contemplated coming up with a grading system or star rating for my reviews, but I have decided that I don't want to put a "grade" on my cupcake reviews. I love all cupcakes! Each cupcake is different, as each person may have a different perspective on what makes a "good" cupcake and what makes a "great" cupcake. I just wish to share with you my experience and give you an idea what to expect when you visit the cupcakery. Instead of a grade, I will select my favorite cupcake from the cupcakes that I selected to review during this visit and deem it "Fox's Favorite."

Fox's Favorite at Just Cupcakes- "M's"
A very close second- "Happy Birthday"

0 sweet comments:

Post a Comment

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...