Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rose Carrot Cake and Cupcakes!

Tonight starts Course 2 in the Wilton Method Classes that I am taking and I haven't even worked on the Ribbon Rose from Course 1 that I learned! Today, I wanted to make a Carrot Cake using the Duncan Hines Decadent Classic Carrot Cake mix. I don't want all my carrot cakes to look the same and since I have wanted to practice the ribbon roses that I learned in Course 1 of the Wilton Method Classes, I decided to make orange ribbon roses instead of carrots on the carrot cake.
I made the cake according to the box directions, except, as usual, I replaced the oil with applesauce in the recipe and this time I added an additional small box of raisins. I poured the batter into 2- 6 inch pans and had a little batter left for cupcakes. I baked each according to box directions.
While the cakes were cooling, I added confectioners sugar one tablespoon at a time to about 1.5 cups of Wilton Decorator Icing to thicken it up to stiff consistency for the ribbon roses. You can tell when it is "stiff" by putting your straight spatula up right into your bowl of icing and it doesn't fall over. The leaves are made from thin consistency, which just a few drops of water are added to your icing to thin it out.
Once the icing was colored and to desired consistency, I began making my ribbon roses. I did this using a flower nail and flower squares. Flower squares are little pre-cut pieces of wax paper that you stick to your flower nail with a dab of icing and it allows you to remove the roses for later use. To make the rose, you first place tip 12 on your piping bag and make a Hershey Kiss type shape, then you switch to tip 104 and pipe a little "scarf" on the Hersey Kiss shape. Finally you make the ribbons around the rose with the large side of the tip facing downwards each time facing the tip farther and farther out. For better instructions and step by step photos can view Wilton's Ribbon Rose technique on the Wilton Website. The 1.5 cups made about 15 roses.
I decorated the cupcakes by first spreading a thin layer of the Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting that came with the  Duncan Hines Decadent Classic Carrot Cake mix in a double package (from BJ's Wholesale). On top of the frosting I used my hand to coat with chopped walnuts. I piped the leaves on top of the walnuts with tip 352 and finished it off by gently placing on one of the ribbon roses that I had made. The roses were stiff enough that I was able to gently place them by hand.
For the cake: I leveled the 2- 6 inch cakes with a serrated knife and spread a layer of the Duncan Hines Cream Cheese Frosting in between layers. Once that was done, using my angled spatula, I frosted the entire cake. To get the cake smooth I did have to put the cake in the freezer about 8 minutes to thicken the frosting and then smooth over the cake with the angled spatula once again. I used my hands to press the chopped walnuts into the icing on the side of the cake. This part went really quick. Finally, I used a small angled spatula to gently place each rose that I had earlier made on top of the cake, and finished it off by piping leaves around the roses.


To view my other Carrot Cake Cupcakes visit my post Crazy for Carrots!
To view my other Ribbon Rose Cake visit my post Wilton Course 1: Decorating Basics Lesson 4


This Cupcake is linked to Cupcake Tuesdays!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful cake and cupcakes! The roses are perfect!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...