Saturday, June 25, 2011

If You Like Pina Coladas

And getting caught in the rain...
If you're not into yoga...
If you have half a brain...

These cupcakes are fun to make, YUMMY, and great for summer!

No, that picture at the top isn't a regular Pina Colada, it is a Strawberry Colada for a little inspiration!
I found the recipe in the Betty Crocker- Big Book of Cupcakes. Yes, I am lovin that book! The recipe however was a bit incomplete I found as it didn't tell how many eggs to use, just to put them in one at a time. Weird, anyways....
Ingredients/Directions for Pina Colada Cupcakes
2-1/2 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour*
1 cup sugar
1 stick margarine*
Strawberry Applesauce (one of those single serve cups, about 1/2 cup)*
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp coconut extract
1 tablespoon light rum*
3 eggs*
Half or a little more of a 20oz can of crushed pineapples, drained (save juice), no measurements just eyeball it*
1/4 cup pineapple juice from the can*
1/4 cup milk
 *denotes my changes or more or less me just doing stuff my way as usual, so I changed most everything. I can't remember how many changes it takes before a recipe is considered your own?!
In the book it does have you to do things in certain orders, but I just put all the dry stuff in the mixer, followed by all the wet stuff and they turned out fine! I filled my liners between 2/3 and 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. This recipe made 21 cupcakes for me.
Cute seashell cupcake liners are Mary Engelbreit from Michaels.
Now onto the frosting...
First, let me tell you I have never cooked frosting in my life!
This was fun!
Ingredients/Directions for Tropical Frosting
2 egg whites, beat just until stiff peaks form (leave that in your mixer and move on to the stove!)
In your 1qt sauce pan...
1 TB water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
Mix those 3 ingredients well and then cover and turn burner on medium until reaches a rolling bowl...just keep peeking...about 3 to 5 minutes depending on your stove. No stirring, don't touch it. Remove lid and continue to boil untouched for 4-8 minutes or until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees. This took about 6 minutes for me.
As soon as the sugar mixture reaches proper temperature, SLOWLY pour into your mixer turned on medium, keep it going and add 1 teaspoon coconut extract and 1 teaspoon light rum (I didn't have rum extract, just used rum!)
Keep mixer going for about 3 minutes until stiff peaks reform.
For some reason I had a lot of fun making the frosting!
My husband got me the book Sugar Baby by Gesine Bullock-Prado, she is Sandra Bullock's sister. Anyway, I have yet to make anything in the book, although I do want to one day! It is a great book with some stories in it and I did buy a candy thermometer because of it. I also learned by reading the book that molten hot sugar (what you are making in the pot for that frosting up there) boils hotter than water and it will stick to you and burn you like nothing else, so be careful and this is definitely something you don't to sling in your face when you put it in the mixer and you don't want small children around when you are making it.
Back to the Cupcakes
Frost the cupcakes with a spatula, press on some coconut, top with a paper umbrellas and enjoy! I put fresh strawberries on some of them too!
Anyway the cupcakes and frosting are YUM, and if you like Pina Coladas...just make them!

These Cupcakes are linked up to:
A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday


  1. do I like Pina Colada's....ummmmmm is the POPE CATHOLIC?????? Yes, he is. GREAT cupcakes.

  2. That frosting looks heavenly! These would be perfect for summer entertaining. I would have to purchase some umbrellas to get the desired effect, of course. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

  3. oh yummy those cupcakes look delicious think I will try to make some for my oldest daughter come see what we have shared at

  4. Those cupcakes looks so yummy! Great job! Lovely colours. Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

  5. Visiting from Tea Party Tuesday ... WOW! these look amazing... and sound delish. Thanks for sharing the recipe!! HHL

  6. Wow, these look absolutely delicious! Perfect dessert for summer and I love how you added the the little umbrella. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Visiting from Tea Party Tuesday. Have a great week!~Poppy

  7. Great cupcakes! Love the "song" too!
    Thanks for joining us for Cupcake Tuesday!

  8. Oh my goodness,
    These cupcakes are out of this world, they look delicious. I would like to invite you to link up at Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!
    Miz Helen

  9. This looks so yummy! I'm have a recipe only link party "Cast Party Wednesday" and this would be perfect. Would you come over and share some of your recipes with us?
    I hope to see you there!

  10. So pretty! And so Summer-y.... for a lack of better words! Thanks for sharing! Now I think I'm going to whip me up a pina colada!


  11. I had that song on my mind for a few weeks and now you've just brought it back to me... :) Those cupcakes look just perfect for summer! LOVE those. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

  12. I am so excited that you brought these wonderful cupcakes today. They look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

  13. So cute!!!! I am going to have to try them out…if I can ever get the song out of my head! ;) Thanks for sharing!


  14. Thanks for linking up your recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back tomorrow and share some more of your awesome recipes!
    I hope to see you there!

  15. These are so cute! I love the paper umbrellas on top for a little extra "sweetness!"

  16. Congratulations!
    You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week and will also be on What's For Dinner Next Week. You are welcome to stop by and pick up your Red Plate.
    Miz Helen


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...