Sunday, April 15, 2012

Homemade Pink Lollipops

Pretty Lollipops in Pink!
Every since I saw Karen's beautiful blue butterfly lollipops at Trilogy Edibles, I have wanted to make some for my little girl! I thought today would be the perfect day to give them to the kids on the car ride to the beach!
I bought the mold a few days ago in anticipation of making these lollipops. Apparently you can't just use any candy mold for hard candy, it has to be one made just for hard candy, but that was easy enough to find at my local cake store. Next, I needed to find a recipe. I decided to use a recipe from a candy book that I have had for over a year now and not made a single recipe in it.
My first attempt...FAIL! First, I found that my 6 inch lollipop sticks were too long and had to cut them down to fit in the molds. It is also a little difficult having an electric stove, the burner goes off and on and off and on. When I picked the stove out years ago, I had no intention in ever baking much less making candy, so I wanted a flat top electric. Well, I think that was another of my many problems. The next problem, I think my candy thermometer is a little slow at registering.  I am really not sure what went wrong, but the sugar began caramelizing right well before the 300 degrees that the sugar needed to reach. I continued on and poured it in the molds and realized it wasn't just caramelizing, it had started to burn. I now had a garbage can full of disappointment!
So where did these pretty pink lollipops come from?
I decided to give it one more shot before heading off to the beach. Instead of using the same recipe again, I decided to use the tried and true recipe that Karen from Trilogy Edibles had used. The recipe is from Sprinkle Bakes. Shazammm! It worked! I did cut the recipe in half first, since I too, only have one lollipop mold. Hey, I want to try it before I invest in more than one! I also decided to take the sugar off the burner as soon as the thermometer hit 275, in case it was slow at registering. For flavoring I used 3 tiny candy droppers full of Wilton Cherry Candy Flavoring. I am not sure if it is necessary that candy flavoring should be used, or if any type of flavoring can be used, so decided to go with the oil based flavoring. I also added just one drop of pink gel coloring, the same coloring I use in my icing. There are tiny little specks of pink in the lollipops, so maybe I should have used candy coloring, but that really doesn't bother me as much as my first attempt.
I still ended up with extra molten hot sugar even after halving the recipe and filling my mold of 6 lollipops. I have made candy before for the Broken Glass Cupcakes, so before I started this whole adventure, I prepared a metal loaf pan with cooking spray to accommodate any leftover molten sugar that I may have. This candy sets up quick so everything must be prepared in advance. Once the candy had set, it easily unmolded from the pan and with one swift bang on the counter, I had all these beautiful pink shards of candy to snack on!
Now...I think I need to find some more hard candy molds, shapes and stuff!

Be sure to check out the beautiful blue butterfly lollipops at Trilogy Edibles which inspired me to try these!
For the recipe and to see some gorgeous spring flower lollipops made with real flowers, visit Sprinkle Bakes!

~Christina
 

10 comments:

  1. They look so cute and so pretty too! I love way you have packaged them.

    My weekly Say G'day Saturday Linky Party is on now and I would be so thrilled if you could pop by and link up this sweet post!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! I've always wanted to make these but I'm so intimidated by candy thermometers! I know my boys would love the chemistry, hopefully I'll try soon! Love the pretty pink color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these turned out great! Love the sunlight through them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thesse are beautiful! My daughter would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, they turn out so cute. I am sure they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try these. :) We used to do hard candy when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! What a fun idea- makes me think of how fun they would be to make for a birthday party! Thanks for sharing with us at Kids in the Kitchen. Hope to see you again next week! Carrie@younglivingoillady.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful! Glad that you shared the whole experience with us, and thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...