Monday, August 22, 2011

Butterscotch Cupcakes with Salty Caramel Frosting

 I often go through my cookbooks using makeshift bookmarks like tiny pieces of paper or old receipts, whatever is near me at the time, to mark recipes or designs I want to make and I have many marked off, especially in the Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cupcakes. Until, last night, I had something totally different planned on my list of things to bake today and at the last minute I started thinking of something different. Most of the time I create my cupcakes around a design, because that's what I like! I have kids and I am just a big kid myself and like fun looking cupcakes! But today, I decided to change it up a bit with different flavors and try the Butterscotch Cupcakes with Salty Caramel Frosting that was calling my name out of the Betty Crocker The Big Book of Cupcakes!
Cupcakes
2-1/2 cups AP flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I used margarine)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup of milk
    
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. In large bowl beat margarine, and sugar for about 2 minutes, occassional scrapping the bowl. Add in one egg at a time, beating well after each one. Add in vanilla. Turn mixer to low speed and alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beat just until blended. Mix in 3/4 cup butterscotch chips. Fill 24 cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 18-20 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
 
While the cupcakes are cooling...
  
Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I used margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
3-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  
In 2 qt saucepan, melt margarine over medium, slowly whisk in brown sugar and continue to whisk with heat on medium until boiling. Whisk in milk. Continue whisking on medium until boiling. This whole process just takes a few minutes. Once boiling remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. (Set your timer!) After 30 minutes, gradually whisk in confectioners sugar, it will start out lumpy, but the lumps will whisk out. After mixing well, I thought it was still a little too warm to frost the cupcakes, so I put it in the freezer for no more than 5 minutes and this cooled it off quite quick. The frosting will crust over a little and need to be stired before frosting.
Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with a little coarse kosher salt. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp total for all 24 cupcakes. I may have used a little more, I didn't measure, but the amount I used tasted perfect!
Some of these had more butterscotch chips than other...that was my fault, I should have stirred the batter at least once when filling the liners. But then again, the cupcakes with more butterscotch chips, are like a cupcake with an extra present inside!
Either way, they were YUMMY! My son described them as not too sweet, just perfect! My daughter said "These are darn good!" They are YUM!

These Cupcakes are shared at:
Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday
The Kurtz Corner: Tuesday Tutorials
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Talking Dollars and Cents: Muffin (and Cupcake) Mondays
Bizzy Bakes: Bake with Bizzy
Home Savvy: Savvy HomeMade Monday
Tatertots and Jello: Weekend Wrap Up
Rook No. 17: A Little Birdie Told Me
Hoosier Homemade: Cupcake Tuesday
Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked
Pinch of This, That & the Other: Whisking Wednesdays
Daily Organized Chaos: Foodie Wednesday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
Kissed By A Frog: Frog Blog Love Linky
Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday
Around My Family Table: Turning the Table Thursday
Alli N Son- Sweet Tooth Friday
Tidy Mom- I'm Lovin It
Mangoes and Chutney- Fat Camp Friday
Bacon Time: Party Mindie Style
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday
A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday

20 comments:

  1. Ooo these sound yummy! Love those cupcake liners, too cute :) Thanks for liking up!

    Audra
    thekurtzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterscotch and Caramel in one cupcake...oh yummy. Either of those words get my attention and tempt me.
    I invite you link up at Bake with Bizzy.
    http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/08/bake-with-bizzy_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes sound amazing! I just found your site through a blog party and am happy to be a new follower. I would love for you to link your cupcake post up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at

    http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/blog-party-4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh the oey gooey goodness....they looks so so so yummy! Thanks for sharing, you have such great CUPCAKES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butterscotch and caramel! Thanks for linking these incredible cupcakes up at Muffin Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "little birdie" told me about these cupcakes w/ salty caramel frosting...and I couldn't resist. One of my favorite flavor combos, they look sinfully delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious, Mrs. Fox!! I've just REALLY gotten into butterscotch lately and these look WONDERFUL!! I'm going to use you frosting here soon--THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look incredible! I don't have that cookbook...I think I need it :-)
    Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love butterscotch! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always make such beautiful things! I know I can count on you to bring something special to my party. Thanks for sharing this recipe at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love salted caramel! These look very good!
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you use margarine in these. I used to use butter in everything. Now I use a dairy free, soy free margarine. Sometimes I can tell the difference in recipes and sometimes not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, caramel is my favorite flavor. These look delicious. I have a bag of Kraft caramel bits that would probably work as well. I'm putting these on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness,
    I can almost taste that wonderful caramel with the salty accent. This would be a fabulous cupcake! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for linking your yummy, salty cupcakes up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. We are partying again and I hope you will stop by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that frosting! Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salty Caramel Frosting....yeah, you've got my number! Your cupcakes sound absolutely perfect!

    I'm so thrilled to have your decadent delights be a regular part of what makes "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesdays such a sweet success!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy.....I discovered salty caramel combo last year ans I am hooked on the sweet 'n' salty goodness.

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...