Friday, August 12, 2011

Dr. Seuss- The Cat In the Hat, Thing 1 & Thing 2

Since the day I first saw Thing 1 & Thing 2 at ObSEUSSed, I couldn't wait to make them! They are just so cute! The author of the ObSEUSSed blog has also made a printable to make the little "Thing 1 & Thing 2" disk, which makes these cupcakes even easier!
This is before the cotton candy and Cat in the Hat's bow were added
Dr. Seuss brings back so many memories for me from my son's childhood. I read him the books daily and even had most memorized and would recite them to him on car rides. I read the stories to my oldest daughter as well and now they are both in highschool. My youngest daughter has watched the shows and she also loves what she has seen of Dr. Seuss, yet the books have been boxed up for many years as she has mostly been a Disney Princess girl. Today, I thought it was appropriate to bring out the books to go with the cupcakes! I enjoyed reading the stories just as much as she enjoyed hearing them!
Of course these cupcakes needed be fun inside and out, so I needed to make a Cotton Candy Cupcake!
I looked through my recipe binder for a little inspiration from both Martha Stewart's Yellow Cupcakes and Glorious Treats Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes. I wanted to keep the great texture of the Glorious Treats Cupcake, without adding anything to take away from the cotton candy flavoring. Amazingly, with all the tweaks I had made, they still came out with the perfect texture of the Glorious Treats cupcakes and the cotton candy flavor that I was after! This is what I came up with:
Ingredients
1-3/4 Cups AP Flour + 3T cornstarch
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp LorAnn Oils- Cotton Candy Flavor
Directions
Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl, then in mixer bowl, mix wet ingredients, slowly adding dry ingredients until combined, scrapping down sides as needed. Fill red cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake at preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.  This recipe makes 14 standard sized cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes. I will be using the 24 mini cupcakes for the next Pink Princess Cupcake design.
  
Cotton Candy Icing
The icing I used was from based off the Wilton Class Buttercream
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup shortening
2-3 tablespoons water or milk (I used milk)
1/2 tsp LorAnn Oils- Cotton Candy Flavor

Mix all of the shortening, with 1 cup of sugar at a time, add in flavoring and milk.

Before icing your cupcakes attach the "Thing 1 & Thing 2" badges. Ice the cupcakes in a blue and teal colored icing and place blue cotton candy on top for their hair. Within about 30 minutes the hair will start to melt, so do this right as you are ready to serve!
The Cat in the Hat cupcake hat and bow were made with red and white fondant.

I hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as we did!
Today it was almost like we had a visit from the Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 & Thing 2!
Dr. Seuss Show at Universal Studios Islands of Adventure
Have a Seuss-ical Day!

These cupcakes are shared at:
Mangoes and Chutney: Fat Camp Friday
Alli n Son: Sweet Tooth Friday
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday
KB & Whitesnake: Simply Delish Saturday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo: Party Mindie Style
A Well-Seasoned Life: Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Everyday Sisters: Sharing Sunday (Theme Cupcakes)
Talking Dollars and Cents: Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday
Jam Hands: Recipe Sharing Monday
Sweetology: Tea Party Tuesday
Hoosier Homemade: Cupcake Tuesday
Rook No.17: A Little Birdie Told Me
The Kurtz Corner: Tuesday Tutorials
This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked
Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
 
These Cupcakes were featured at:
Daily Organized Chaos: Foodie Wednesday

27 comments:

  1. I can really get behind the idea of cotton candy on a cupcake - my daughter would faint with delight.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. what!!!!!! these are so neat! GREAT IDEA!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE x infinity and then some.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very cute! You are creative and talented!! I linked to your blog from Sweet Tooth Friday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These turned out so cute. My boys would love these. We love Doctor Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I love these! They would be perfect for my younger son's class. I hope I can pull them off! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these are so original. Too cute! I'm definitely going to try the cotton candy icing. You can stop by my blog and check it out if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cupcakes turned out so good! The cotton candy icing sounds pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a terrific job! I love the cotton candy flavor, I've gotta try that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW super cute cupcakes! The perfect recipe for this week's Sharing Sundays, theme CUPCAKES!! Please come by and link up this recipe and any other cupcake recipes you would like. We will feature the top 5-6 viewed recipes next Sunday. The link is opened until Saturday evening.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com/2011/08/everyday-sisters-sharing-sundays-8.html


    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for also linking up these darling cupcakes at Muffin (and Cupcake) Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stumbled these!

    Ashton
    http://www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, these are wonderful!!! I don't think I've ever seen more adorable cupcakes...;) Visiting from Rook No. 17...

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look AMAZING! I would LOVE it if you shared this recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow!

    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cute!


    Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!

    http://www.extremepersonalmeasures.com/2011/08/whats-your-favorite-cookbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! These are precious!! Thanks for linking up at {The Kurtz Corner} :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are amazing. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a blast! I love the hat and the wrappers!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so whimsical. They'd bring out the kid in anyone. They made the Top 5 for Sweets for a Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cutest most unique cupcakes EVER! LOVE LOVE LOVE the cotton candy decoration. Makes me wish I had kids who are still little.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delish.

    We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  21. Precious, adorable, I want one, they are the greatest! Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such awesome cupcakes!! They sound delicious and they perfectly embody the magic and whimsy of Dr. Seuss. LOVE!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are the coolest cupcakes I've seen in a long time....awesome.

    I featured them at Foodie Wednesday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these cupcakes!! The cotton candy is such a fun touch. My 2 youngest are obsessed with Dr. Seuss, these would be a big hit in my house. :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...