Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pink Princess Cupcakes #12- Enchanted Crystal Cakes

Enchanted Crystal Cakes
This is #12 out of 28 cupcake designs that I am making from the book "Pink Princess Cupcakes" by Barbara Beery. Be sure to check out all of the Pink Princess Cupcakes that I have made!

I started these cupcakes with Duncan Hines Confetti Cupcake Mix in a snack size box (makes 12). I prepared it according to box instructions, except I used Crystal Light Margarita Flavored Drink in place of the water in the cupcake. This added just a slight flavor difference in the cupcake.
 
 For the Appletini Icing- I used 1 cup shortening, 1 pound confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and used 4-6 tablespoons of Crystal Light Appletini Flavored Drink as the liquid in this frosting.
You may be asking Why didn't I use the Margarita in the frosting too? That was an oops! I grabbed the wrong container out of the refrigerator! It was a fabulous oops! The frosting tasted awesome!
Have you tried of these new Crystal Light Drinks? They are yummy!
My fav is the Mojito one, but they are all refreshing!
 
Back to the cupcakes....
The Crystals on top of the cupcakes are rock candy.
Rock candy takes a lot of time to make. It is made by disolving 4 cups of sugar into 2 cups of water, heating until boiling, putting it into a jar with a string suspended from the top of the jar and weighted.  Then take the string out and let it dry straight. The string is then put back into the solution and has to be left alone for a week or maybe more for these sugar crystals to grow. Although I may make it someday, that isn't something on my to-do list anytime soon.
The problem is, we really don't have any candy shops around here and our everyday stores don't have rock candy! We recently took a trip to Yankee Candle Village (Flagship Store) in Williamsburg, Virginia (awesome place...it snows in there every 4 minutes!) and it does have a candy store.
This is a peek inside Yankee Candle Village...cool ceiling huh?
The candy store is named the "Yankee Candy Store" (this replaced the Dylan's Candy Bar that was inside last year). Anyway this is where I found the rock candy, $5 for this small bag and about 15 gummy bears...so it wasn't cheap! I knew I needed the rock candy for this project and that I would be kicking myself if I didn't get it.
Yep that's it...$5 for the 5 pieces of rock candy and 15 gummy bears (already eaten)
Again, back to the cupcakes....
I broke up the rock candy and put it on top of the cupcakes. The rock candy has a string inside which is impossible to remove since the candy is stuck to it, so this isn't necessarily good for small children as you have to eat around the string. Anyway I thought they turned out pretty cute and I love the crystal look!
 
Be sure to check out all of the Pink Princess Cupcakes that I have made!
  
The Next Pink Princess Cupcake that I will be making:
Cupcake Pops
  

These Pink Princess Cupcakes are shared at:

8 comments:

  1. So Cute!!! I LOVE the rock candy! Like little jewels in the princesses crown :-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling cupcakes! Just perfect~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Really cool rock candy. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! I've never seen the Crystal Light mixes although the Appletini is right up my alley. You have such creative ideas. You should write your own princess cookbook. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What pretty cupcakes and I just know they will be delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute, and I love the rock candy! Thanks for linking up to Fat Camp Friday. Hope you enjoyed your weekend, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! Love the Rock Candy on top!
    Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...