Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cherry Coca-Cola Zero Cupcakes

I have been using soda in cupcakes off and on pretty much since I started baking as a substitute for eggs and oil as a way to cut back on fat and calories. My daughter suggested that we make a cupcake totally dedicated to Coca-Cola...I chose Cherry Coke.
Cupcake Ingredients
1 box of Devils Food Cake Mix
1 can of Cherry Coca-Cola Zero

Cupcake Directions
Combine the 2 ingredients and fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. This will make 21 cupcakes. Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs. The cupcakes will be very moist and fragile, so be careful when you remove them from the pan not to squish them...but think of all the calories and fat that you have saved for the icing! Let cool on cooling rack, I like to cover my cooling rack with a paper towel to avoid lines in the bottom of the tender cupcake.

While these are cooling it is time to make the frosting!
This recipe is adapted from:

Frosting Ingredients
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cold Cherry Coca-Cola Zero
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
dash of salt
2 egg whites

Frosting Directions
In a stainless steel durable 3 quart saucepan mix all ingredients. (Mixing this frosting will beat up your pan, so consider that when you are deciding which pan to use. Don't use nonstick, that will definitely be scraped up.)  Beat with electric mixer in the pan for 1 minute, scraping pan constantly. Place pan with mixture on stove on low to medium low, on my stove it was at a 3. Beat with mixer on high speed for 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form, this took 15 minutes for me.  Remove from heat. This mixture should be warm but not hot.
Fill piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with cherry and add straw for decoration.
(Cleaning Tip- Your pan will look a mess, add some water and bring back to a boil, this will loosen anything stuck to the bottom and make it easier to clean. I was able to scrape the residue off easily after this with one of those brown Pampered Chef scrapers. The mixer did put quite a few scratches in the pan, so like I said consider this when considering which pan to use. The frosting taste fabulous though and now I have a pan just for making frosting like this!)

Meanwhile and Optional...

While, I was mixing the frosting in one pan. I had 6 ounces of Cherry Coca-Cola Zero in a 1 quart pan reducing on medium heat to make a syrup to top the cupcakes with. The soda reduced the entire time that I was working on the frosting.
6 ounces wasn't nearly enough soda, as it reduced down to just a couple spoonfuls before it reached the consistency that I wanted, only enough to drizzle on 3 cupcakes. This would take a lot more soda and time to make enough drizzle for an entire batch of cupcakes.
The drizzle did really add to the Cherry Coca-Cola Zero flavor of the cupcake! It also made the already fragile cupcake fall apart very easily after the liner was removed. So I am torn on whether to attempt the drizzle on top again, maybe with a more stable cupcake it would work out better.
 Overall, the cake part itself didn't scream Cherry Coca-Cola Zero, but you could taste it slightly if you looked for it. The frosting was awesome, you could almost even feel the carbonation of the soda! I loved the texture of the frosting as well! So while the cake part still needs a little more Cherry Coca-Cola flavor, the frosting was pure perfection! It is not killer sweet and it is good to eat just by the spoonfuls! It has quickly risen to my favorite frosting ever!

These Cupcakes were featured at:


  1. Yum! I love the idea of using soda instead of eggs - so smart! I totally want to try these. :)

  2. Yummm! I have done soda in cupcakes but never thought of cherry! And they look so cute!

    Stop by and link up at What’s Cooking Wednesday!


  3. Cherry coke zero is my favorite soda...going to have to give these a try. Thanks!

  4. Yuuuummy! I love cherry coke, I'll have to try these! Pin!!

  5. Yum! I love Coke Zero. :) These look fabulous, I can't wait to make them.

  6. Fascinating - I have never heard of doing this. Must give it a try. Thanks!

  7. Thats so cute...and whata great flavor..I love cherry coke! I'm a new follower!

  8. This looks like a fun way to jazz up regular box cake mix. Great idea! I love how you've photographed them with straws.

  9. Oh my! My youngest son LOVES cherry coke, these would be perfect for him!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!

  10. These are great cupcakes and I want to try them very soon. As a matter of fact sure wish I had one right now. Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

  11. Adorable cupcakes... I bet they taste great!

  12. What a cool idea! I love Cherry Coke so I'm sure I would enjoy these. They look delicious. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

  13. These are adorable and sounds decadent! Can't wait to make a batch of my own.

    My blog turns 1 today and I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog as a way to say thank you for your supports in the past year. Please come over to check it out if you're interested. http://utry.it

  14. Looks delish.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

  15. What an incredibly cool trick for replacing eggs and oil! I love the creative way you used the cherry Coke Zero throughout the recipe, and the straw in the cupcake is a wonderful touch!


  16. Fantastic recipe! It looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you on my blog:)

  17. Thank you so much for your link-up to Whisking Wednesday last week. I hope you'll stop back in this week and link up another amazing recipe!


  18. Seriously you are my hero.....I ma making these as soon as the heat stops and my oven comes on again!

  19. Love your cupcake, I am going to feature these on Friday morning too! Thanks for linking up and for your nice comments at Bacon Time.

  20. Happy Monday! I wanted to thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at Recipe Sharing Monday. The new party is now up and I'd love for you to link up again :)


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...