Friday, August 5, 2011

Flashback to the 1st Day of School in 2010

It's Flashback Friday!
This is a "now just occasional" segment that I post to show you some of my past adventures...
These cupcakes were inspired from Blackboard Cupcakes from the Disney Family Fun Website.
At the time I made these for the start of school last year it still hadn't even been a year since I started baking. I knew it would surprise the kids if I baked up a special treat for them and had ready for an after school snack on the first day of school!
These cupcakes were inspired from Cyper Sweets Cupcakes from the Disney Family Fun Website.
The cupcake liners I used have Mickey Mouse shapes, question marks, exclamation points, and different shapes on them (Ordered from The Party Works). They were leftover from a previous cupcake project and were the perfect color for these cupcakes too!
I started the cupcakes with a basic yellow box cake mix made with 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce + 1 cup of water in place of the oil, eggs, and liquid called for on the box. I colored the vanilla canned frosting golden yellow and melted it in the microwave about 15 seconds at a time until it was perfect for dipping the cupcakes.
While the frosting was setting up, I made the blackboards (yes, our schools still use mostly blackboards) and laptops using chocolate covered graham cracker cookies. I piped each blackboard with white buttercream icing writing something a little different on each: kids names, school name, year, mascot, whatever I could think of school related. I did the same with the laptops and even threw in a Pac-Man to see if the kids knew what that was...and surprisingly they did! The green and red apples are made from Runts candy with a leaf sprinkle glued on with a spot of buttercream. The purple mouse was also a Runts candy, with a black food gel writer cord. For the blackboard and the upright part of the laptop, I originally tried to cut a slit to insert, but with the frosting method I used, I found they weren't very stable, so I stabilized them with a tooth pick. If you would rather use something edible a pretzel stick would work too.

I hope you enjoyed my Flashback to the start of school last year and I hope that it inspires you to commemorate the start of school with a special sweet too!

With exactly a month and a day until school starts, I need to get in gear and think of what to make this year for the first day!


  1. Both are very cute! I love the computer mouse!

  2. Fun! My kids are grown but my sweet grand kids would love these.

  3. So darn cute! We might have to make these! Thanks.

  4. These are so cute. They would be perfect to make for my sons to take to school. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

  5. Theses are really cute! I love the computer!!I saw your blog posted on Sweets for a Saturday. You have definitely inspired me to think of other ideas. Thanks!

  6. Wow, those are cute as a button. That's one sweet way to start the school year. Thanks for sharing it with Sweets for a Saturday.

  7. These are fabulous!! I've made them for the staff at my school in the past. Found them in Family Fun magazine. Great job!

  8. These are too cute to eat! I bet they taste awesome too! I'd love for you to link up at my Tuesday Tutorials Link Party! :)

  9. These are absolutely adorable! I love that you used applesauce in the cupcakes too. I'm featuring your post in tomorrow's "A Little Birdie Told Me..."! Thanks for linking up!

  10. Super cute! Love the little computers!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...