Thursday, November 3, 2011

Zebra Cake- A Look Inside

A look inside of the Black, Red, & White Cake
I wanted this 14th Birthday Cake extra special outside...and in!
Each tier of the cake was different!
For the red tier of the cake I used Duff Goldman's Zebra Premium Cake Mix.
The box contains 2 packages of cake mix, chocolate and vanilla.
After mixing the batters, the batter is poured into the pan alternating 1/8 or 1/4 cup of each batter and letting them spread out on their own. Quite simple, a little time consuming, but worth it!
I used a different flavor Duff Cake Mix before for my Wild Thing Cupcakes. In that post, I had mentioned the cake not rising as much as I would have liked, well this time I had the same result. Instead of leveling the zebra cake and losing more height, I used frosting to build up the lower areas. Not ideal, but it worked.
The Zebra Cake was very moist and flavorful, consistent with the quality of the Duff Spice Cake Mix. Everyone loved it! I would definitely buy it again for taste, but if I intended to use it for a large cake again, I would make this tier 3 layer and use 2 mixes and just level the top. For cupcakes? Oh yes!
I also used the Duff Goldman's Red Fondant for the red layer of the cake, it was really easy to work with and didn't taste that bad either. I am still not a fan of eating the fondant though!
If you haven't already, check out the whole cake- Black, Red, & White Cake.


  1. Beautiful! A great technique I'll use for sure.

  2. Oh. My. Goodness.
    That's beautiful! I am suddenly dying to make a zebra cake. :)

  3. That looks fantastic. I love working with fondant, but I won't eat it....even if I make my own. I love the bright red color.


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...