Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Cupcake Bites

Last week, I was invited to guest blog over at The Artsy Girl Connection! Marilyn (The Artsy Girl) is such a talented and sweet girl, and I was honored to be able to share what I like to do with her fans too! If you haven't visited her, stop by, her blog is full of fabulous things!
Today, I am going to show you how to make Cupcake Bites. You may be thinking..."Whatever, I have tried making cake pops and it didn't go so well, no way I am trying this!" Well, if that is what you are thinking, let me tell you this is much easier! If you are already experienced with making cake pops, these will be a breeze for you!
  Here is what you will need:
A Candy Cup Mold (mine is by Wilton)
2 or 3 colors of Candy Melts (also by Wilton)
Freezer bag (to make drizzle) or sprinkles of your choice
First you need cake! You can buy a cake, make a cake, use left over cake, whatever you desire! I made a 6" cake for these and used the leftover batter for cupcakes. You can also make a cake in a 8x11 pan and cut it it into 4 pieces, using one for cake pops or cake bites now and wrap and freeze the other 3 pieces individually for future cake pops or bites. Each square will make 8 to 12 cake pops or cake bites depending on the size.
Once the cake is cooled, I always cut off the ugly parts, to avoid darkening the inside. Don't worry, these pieces won't go to waste, leave them out, someone will snack on them! Break up the cake with a spoon and add about 2 tablespoons of icing, this will vary depending on how much cake you are using, this amount will work for 1/4 of a box mix cake or a 6" cake. I always test roll a ball before adding more frosting to see how well it will hold together.
These cupcake bites are an easy alternative to a cake pop. The ball is a little smaller too, but there is no risk of them falling off of the stick when you dip them since they have already set up in the chocolate base! After the frosting was mixed into the cake, I decided to add some sprinkles before rolling (not pictured). To determine the size of ball I needed I simple rolled a ball and measured it to the mold. Once your balls are made, put them in the refrigerator about 10 minutes to chill. Heat your candy melts in a microwave safe bowl or cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For 10 cupcake bites you will only need about 1/3 of a bag. Using a small spoon and working one cavity in the mold at a time, fill the cavity about 2/3 full with your first color melts, I used Mint Dark Chocolate. As soon as you put the candy into the cavity, gently press in the ball just until the candy comes to the top of the mold cavity. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, longer is fine.
Once chilled, these should pop right out of the mold, if they don't they aren't ready yet. Once the cupcake bite bases and cake balls are ready to unmold, melt up your second color in a microwave safe bowl or cup, enough that you can dip the cake ball. Dip. Gently shake off the excess candy and if you wish to add candy or sprinkles, do so at this time. After they are dried you can also drizzle the tops with melted candy using a different color. For these I decided to drizzle.
To drizzle you can use a spoon or piping bag. I find more control using a bag, but instead of wasting a piping bag, I used a cut in half freezer bag. Unless you have an extra set of hands it is nice to have a small baby cup to hold your bag when filling. You will only need to put about a spoonful of your melted candy in the bag. I like to fasten with these black office clips. Snip a teenie tiny corner off and begin your drizzle, swirls, or whatever pattern suits your mood!
 So there you have it....cupcake bites, easily customizable to any occassion or holiday! They are great for parties and gifting too!
Pin It

Featured at:
The Artsy Girl Connection
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo
Happy Hour Projects
The Quick Journey


  1. Amazing...delicious..tasty fresh...Yumm..:)
    Tasty Appetite

  2. Mouth is watering already, totally love this! perfect for the Christmas season. thanks for posting, can't wait to try this out :)

  3. Ok. This sounds do-able, and they remind me of petit-fours! The only part that looks scary is the dipping part, I'm afraid I'll be too messy... Here's exactly what I foresee: Adrianne drops the pop totally into the dip and can't neatly fish it out. Dip gets everywhere. Swearing ensues. LOL.

    Any tips there?

  4. Beautiful and it sounds much easier than the dreaded cake pop. I am also liking the chocolate base. Really NICE!

  5. Wow - that's incredible! The two different colors of frostings and drizzles is great! The base is...WOW!

  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

  7. Oh man I want to make these. You always have me wanting chocolate after I check out your blog:>Thanks so much for linking up and sharing at my Feature Friday Linky Party!

    Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic

  8. oh my...i'm salivating looking at your pics
    have bookmarked this
    thks :)

  9. I'm definitely going to have to make another trip to Michael's before the holidays. You have such cute gadgets! These look great. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

  10. These look awesome!! Stopping by from Southern Institute linky :)

  11. featuring this week at Bacon Time, it will probably post wed. Happy holidays my friend.

  12. YUM! I love that they are as festive inside as out!! merry christmas - don't eat toooo much! x


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...