Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Present Cake & Bow Tutorial

Pink Princess #27
Okay first, I hate to disappoint you, but there is not a "Christmas Present Cake" in the Pink Princess Cupcakes book. There is however an adorable "Birthday Cupcake" that is actually a 4-inch cake with a simple fondant 2 loop bow. In case you are visiting for the first time or have missed it, I have been working my way through the Pink Princess Cupcake book by Barbara Beery since July 2011. This is #27 out of 28 designs that I have made inspired by the book. I say "inspired by" because I have changed most of them to make them a little more me or to fit a particular holiday, just like I have this one! For this cake I have changed the theme from Birthday to Christmas, made a slightly larger 6-inch cake, covered the entire cake in fondant, and I am making the big bow that I learned to make in the Wilton Fondant and Gum Paste Class!
This was my first bow made in class!
Quite often when I visit my stats, I see that a lot of people came to my blog by searching for "How to make a fondant bow" and quite often they find that I have shown the fondant bow that I have made, but never a how- to on it, so today I will show you:
"How to make a fondant and gum paste bow"
   
What you will need:
Fondant
Gum paste
a fondant mat or large surface to work on
fondant roller with spacer rings
ribbon cutter and embosser set
round fondant cutters (small, medium, & large set)
angled spatula
shortening (for hands and mat)
cornstarch
gum paste adhesive (1/4 tsp gum paste + 1 tb water, let sit 1 hour and mix)
brush for gum paste adhesive
    
All of the equipment that I used for this bow is made by Wilton and can be purchased at their website or at your local arts and crafts store. You may be able to get away with not having some of it, but this stuff sure makes it easier! I also highly recommend taking a Wilton Class with a fabulous teacher like I had, I learned so much in that class! I enjoyed the classes so much that I have seriously thought about taking them again!

Start by kneading together equal parts of fondant and gum paste. You will need a ball of each a little larger than a golf ball. If it is sticking to your hands put a little shortening on your hands. You will also need to smear shortening on your fondant mat to avoid sticking. Roll out your fondant/gum paste mixture to 1/8 inch. (From this point on I will just refer to it as gum paste.) Using ribbon cutter and 1-inch spacers, cut your fondant into 1 inch by 5 inch strips. Each square on the fondant mat is 1 inch. Loop gum paste and "glue" together with gum paste adhesive. Cut corners as shown. Also cut out 3 circles with your circle cutters, one in each size.
You will need a total of 14 loops, 1 large circle, 1 medium circle, and 1 small circle. Set loops and circles on cornstarch dusted waxed paper to dry.
To add a second color, as shown here. Roll out fondant to 1/8 inch and change ribbon cutter pieces to the wavy inserts. Cut pieces and carefully attach to loops. I just used fondant for this part.
In class we allowed the bow to dry during class and then assembled near the end of class, but with time permitting it is best to let the loops dry overnight so they don't flatten when bow is assembled.
I like to preassemble to bow before gluing together to find out how I would like it. On dusted wax paper, first lay down your large circle. Glue on 6 of your loops with the gum paste adhesive.
Glue on medium sized circle, followed by 5 more loops. Glue on smallest circle, followed by 2 or 3 of your final loops. Sometimes 2 fit best in the middle, other times a 3rd is needed. For this bow I used all 14 pieces. Once the bow is fully assembled, it will need to dry overnight or longer if possible.
The cake is a 6-inch cake, covered in red Duff Fondant. This fondant is buttercream flavored and one of my favorites to use. I continued the ribbon pattern across the cake as well, and then added polka dots, made with the circle cutters, to tie it all together. It kinda resembles a Target cake!
And what present is complete without a little surprise inside...
Green cake with a few red and green sprinkles in the frosting!
    
Next week is the final Pink Princess Cupcake- Crown Princess
View all of the other book inspired Pink Princess Cupcakes designs that I have made!

 

Featured at:
Something Swanky
Miz Helens Country Cottage
The Artsy Girl Connection

26 comments:

  1. In love with that bow! This cake is a real WOW!
    Great job.
    Hugs,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! This turned out just gorgeous! The cake *I* paid a small fortune for over the weekend pales in comparison, LOL. Great work (as usual)!!

    Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW is RIGHT Adrianne <--that's what I just said.. Christina, YOU are AMAZING.. This is SOOO awesome.. I wish you lived close so I can BEG you to make a cake for my daughter's birthday : )) LOVE this.. SO talented.. : )) Wishing you a great start to your week.. ~M

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome, now a quick reference for when I decide to attempt another bow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is so gorgeous! And what an amazing bow. Love the red layered on the white. Your fondant looks great - really smooth!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is serious cake awesomeness....I have that little white "crinkle" cutter thingie ma-jig from wilton to cut fondant and for the LIFE of me I can not figure out how to use that darn thing!!!!! Can you come over and teach me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great, I have always wanted to make a bow, but felt intimidated. I also just got the straight cutter from Wilton, like a paper cutter so I cannot wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! You're an artist. I want to learn how to work with fondant. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my word, i LOVE this. mixing art with cake is fantastic. thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! How fabulous. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the cake looks amazing! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am over visiting from the Mom on Timeout link party. This cake is awesome!

    ~Kara (your newest follower :)
    www.petalstopicots.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum!!! It looks to good to eat. Thanks for linking up today at http://sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com/
    Rose and Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! I in awe that you made that!! It's stunning!!
    I would be thrilled if you linked this up to my party going on right now!!
    http://ablondesdiylife.blogspot.com/2011/12/come-party-with-blonde-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great tutorial for this beautiful cake, it is so beautiful. Great work, you are so talented and I always look forward to your new creations. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely stunning - you are very talented....I would like to find this under my tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an excellent tute, my friend!

    Thank you so much for linking-up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

    I've spotlighted your post on my Facebook page today.

    Wishing you the happiest of holidays,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking this AMAZINGLY Creative feature at Pin'Inspirational Thursday's last week.. YOU WHERE ONE OF THE FAV'S and are featured TODAY!!!! WOOHOO.. Please stop in, have a look and snag a fun button.. I HAD to pin it too.. : )) THANKS SO MUCH again.. Wishing you a WONDERFUL count down to your Holiday's.. Hope you can link again tonight.. HAPPY HOLIDAY'S.. Cheers. xoxo.. M..
    http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/pininspirational-thursday-13-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely amazing!!!! You AND the cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job!!Saw this beautiful cake in many linky parties...I have just started to learn decorating cakes & I think I can learn a lot of things from your tutorials..

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...