Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eggnog & Cranberry Cupcakes (Improv Challenge)

Eggnog and Cranberries
We are now on month 3 of the Improv Challenge hosted by:
Improv Challenge
This months assigned ingredients:
Eggnog and Cranberries!
This challenge, I had an easy time figuring out that to make. I decided to make cupcakes again! These are really simple to make. Here is what you will need:
Eggnog & Cranberry Cupcakes
1 box of Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix*
1-1/4 cup low fat eggnog
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons oil
 Put eggnog, egg whites, and oil in mixer, followed by the white cake mix. Mix on low for 30 seconds, scrap sides, and continue mixing for 2 minutes on medium. The mixture will become fluffy and almost marshmallow-y.
(*other brands of cake mixes are now putting less mix in their boxes, so this recipe may not work with a different brand mix)
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake in 325 degree preheated oven for about 18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. This should make about 24 cupcakes depending on amount of batter in each cup.
Eggnog Frosting
1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup margarine
3-3/4 cups confectioners sugar
8 tablespoons of lowfat eggnog
a few sprinkles of nutmeg (1/8 to 1/4 tsp)
In mixer, on low, cream together shortening and margarine. Begin adding confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time, adding in eggnog a little at a time. Continue to mix on low speed until nice and creamy. Mixing at a higher speed will incorporate too much air into the frosting.
Frost cupcakes with spatula and garnish with dried cranberries.
I had originally wanted to mix a cup of dried cranberries into the cupcake batter as well, but this didn't seem to be a popular idea with the family, so I decided just to use the cranberries as a garnish. The cranberries give this sweet cupcake the perfect amount of tartness or tang.
This cupcake is very fluffy, almost reminiscence of an angel food cake, the eggnog flavor shines through beautifully in the frosting, and the cranberries give it the perfect sweet and tart combination!
Best served with eggnog or an eggnog latte!

Improv Challenge Participants:


  1. Stunning cupcakes!!!! You rocked this challenge~

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. (Sorry the comment above was me, didn't realize my BF was signed in to google)

    Your cupcakes look fantastic!

  4. From a fellow ICC participant, I'm in love with this idea! I bet the eggnog flavor is fantastic in both the cupcake and frosting. It's so fun browsing through everyone's creations, great recipe!

  5. Hello fellow ICC blogger. Wow this looks fantastic. Come visit and check out our cookie. Also be sure to register to win the wonderful book we are giving away. Today is the last day. Look for the Southern Fried Women post.

  6. This looks "cupcake wars" good!!! I am not a fan of eggnog, but this may just get me to try and bake with it again. I also used eggnog in my frosting, but yours looks so creamy and fluffy!

  7. Love the idea of using the eggnog in place of milk or cream for the frosting! I bet it gave it such a nice subtle eggnog flavor. Perfect for the holidays...

  8. What a great recipe! I love how you used the eggnog and the cranberries are the perfect as the topper.!!

  9. True confession time - I would pick off the cranberries and scarf down the cupcake. Yum o la!

  10. These are delicious! GREAT Improv entry and I love cupcakes - it's like a little present that you get to unwrap...then EAT!

  11. Adorable! I love these :) ... and am happy to be your newest follower!

  12. I was reaching onto my computer screen to grab one of these cupcakes--yum!

  13. Those cupcakes look wonderful. I love that thick, eggnoggy frosting on top!

  14. Thanks for inviting me. I linked up my fudge, it's actually from last year, but I didn't link up back then when I first started blogging, so I have been sharing it this week. We have something fun and sweet planned for breakfast tomorrow. So next week I should have something to share. I added your button to my linky love page.

  15. So sorry for linking up under the wrong one. I am linked up right now, please delete my fudge from above. Lots of yummy dishes. The shredded apple pie in your other linky looks so good and the eggnog cranberry pound cake is picture perfect. Have a great weekend.

  16. your cupcakes look lovely. I had an eggnog cupcake for lunch the other day. reminds me of it, minus the cranberries... I should suggest this to the bakery! :-)

  17. those look sooo delicious and beautiful! Love your blog! I'm your newest follower :)

    xo andrea

  18. What great cupcakes, I just love your Eggnog and Cranberry combination and they look so pretty for Christmas. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen


I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...