Saturday, December 24, 2011

These Cookies are for the Dogs!

Really...for the dogs!
My dog Rex, is very, very picky! He has high standards, what can I say? He won't eat store bought dog treats, we don't feed him table scraps, he just likes his high quality dry dog food!
I have baked for Rex in the past using dog treat recipes and he would eat one or two and then that would be that, all done. They weren't very tasty either, trust me! I do so much baking for humans, I had to give this another shot...and we are having doggy guests for Christmas too!
Rex is 7 years old and I want him to be with us a very long time! I try to keep him away from chocolate, raisins, anything bad for dogs, as well as human food. I recently found a recipe for dog treats with cheese, then heard a blurb on tv that it could cause some sort of organ failure. I can't remember where I heard it, but for now, I am steering clear from giving him cheese too.
I do give Rex a little peanut butter on bread once a month to get him to take his heartworm preventative, so I know he loves it and he does well with it. So here is what I came up with made especially for Rex for this Christmas!
Rex's Cookies
2-1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of creamy peanut butter
1 cup of 1% milk
1 (3.2 oz package) of GoGo SqueeZ Apple Peach (available at Target and most grocery stores, in the packaged fruit section. It is a 100% fruit, no refined sugar, no preservatives snack by Materne. If you can't find this, there are other similar products or unsweetened applesauce that would probably work.)

In medium bowl, microwave melt peanut butter for about 10 to 15 seconds. Mix in milk and continue mixing until combined. This doesn't look like it will come together at first, but it does. In stand mixer bowl with paddle attachment, add in flour and cinnamon, slowly pour in the peanut butter milk mixture and squeeze in the Apple Peach SqueeZ. Switch to dough hook and continue mixing until combined, scraping sides if needed. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut with mini cookie cutters. For a large dog you will probably want to use regular size cookie cutters. Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet in preheated 400 degree for about 7 minutes for minis. Time may need to be adjusted for larger cookies.
This recipe made about 115 mini dog cookies.
I am not vet, so if you make these, give them to your dog at your own risk. However, these ingredients are in some dog foods, and Rex couldn't wait to get his paws on them! Here he is while I am taking pictures. "Ma...I am sitting pretty!"
These actual taste pretty good for a dog treat, yes I tried them. Don't laugh, it is human quality food in them and I wouldn't give him something that was horrible! It is a soft cookie and a very slight sweetness from the fruit. Of course it isn't as great as a human cookie, but Rex loves them!
Standing pretty now! He has eaten like 5 of these cookies already! (Usually he has clothes on, but he just got a bath yesterday and it is pretty warm outside today.)
I found these cute little Chinese Take out containers at Michael's and got the personalized bottle cap ornament from TLC Creations. I made 3 of these boxes for Rex, his aunt, and his great-uncle. They are all small like Rex. About 35 cookies in a zipper bag fit into each box.
I made 3 of these little goodie boxes! I knew the dogs probably can't read their own names, but maybe they will recognize their own picture? Anyway, at least I know Rex will eat them, now he just has to wait to get into his box until Christmas!

 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am planning on making doggie treat today - great minds think alike! Have a wonderful holiday.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...