Monday, December 26, 2011

Flashback to New Years 2011!

It's Flashback Monday?!
 
This is a once in awhile segment, usually on a Friday, that I created to show you some of my past adventures before I began blogging! Friday is already the day before New Year's Eve and I wanted to give you plenty of time to gather ingredients if you decide to make one of these!
Where oh where did 2011 go?
On New Year's Eve guests enjoyed Martini Cupcakes!
These cupcakes were inspired by the folks from "Hello, Cupcake!" and they were a total hit!
To make these:
I used plastic Martini cups from my local party store. I rubbed the rims of the cups with corn syrup and then dipped in colored sparkling sugar to match the color of the cupcake I intended to put in side. Next, I put colored Jelly Belly's in the stem of the cup. Then, I melted and colored some canned icing and swirled around the top of the cup, being careful not to let it drip into the stem. It only takes about 10 seconds in the microwave to melt the frosting up, so be careful! By the time I got the last cup swirled with icing, the first was about dry and I placed an unwrapped cupcake inside and poured additional melting icing over the top, garnishing with Jelly Belly's, gummy fruit wedges, and umbrellas! These were a little time consuming and a pair of extra hands is very helpful.  In the end when your guest arrive to see these, you will know that they are totally worth it!
With the extra cupcakes that I didn't use in making the Martini Cupcakes, I swirled with buttercream, black and gold sprinkles and topped with some plastic confetti from the party store! I didn't have a problem with people eating the plastic either, just like a cupcake pick, people know to remove it! These cupcakes were a great option, since the buttercream was a little less sweet than the canned icing.
This was my first New Year's Eve making cupcakes!
 
New Year's Eve doesn't last forever and soon comes New Years Day!
Welcome to 2011! This was my first attempt ever at royal icing. I had all of the snowflakes piped, waiting a day and they started to break when I removed them from the waxed paper, so I piped over them again and made the snowflakes very thick! At the time I totally loved these cupcakes! I look back at these now and wonder what was I thinking?

Anyway, that was what I made to welcome in 2011!
I can't wait to Welcome in 2012!

 
Featured at: Mom On Timeout

17 comments:

  1. Well I still think the snowflakes look cool - but those martini cupcakes are so awesome! Great job, and what a fun idea to flask back to pre-blogging days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those top hat cupcakes...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No stinkin' way! These are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool ideas! Can't wait to see what you come up with 2012. I added you to my list of favorite blogs on my main page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what an awesome collection! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are all so cool! can't wait to see 2012's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very unique and very beautiful - I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything you make is done with grace and style. Lovely is the descriptor, I will choose. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your cupcakes check mine out at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Loving those martini cupcakes! I just may have to try to make those! Bookmarked and Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those martini cupcakes. I may have to borrow that idea for a girls night out I'm planning later in January! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all look fab.Happy New year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cupcakes are just awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year and Abundant Blessings in 2012!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Thanks for sharing on Taking A Timeout Thursdays! Happy New Year!

    Trish - Mom On Timeout

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your festive cupcakes -- so much so that I featured them early so that my readers could have a chance to make them for New Years!

    Thank you so much for being a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17! I can't wait to see what you'll bring to the share-nest tomorrow!

    Happy New Year!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're being featured this week! Thanks again for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday. Hope to see you again this week!

    Trish - Mom On Timeout
    http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...