Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Tree Cookies

This Christmas Tree Cookie Cutter is #4 of 5 new cookie cutters that I got this Christmas season and I have really been looking forward to using it! I had so many ideas floating around in my head on how to decorate this cookie using royal icing. I knew I didn't want to make a traditional looking tree and I like using lots of color!
I found this method on accident really, searching at Sweetopia to find out how to store royal icing decorated cookies and how long they would keep. It just so happened that Marian had just posted a new video- How to Pipe Lines with Royal Icing. I have been wanting to step up my cookie decorating and have had a problem doing outlines, so I had to check out this video! It is that video that gave me inspiration for these cookies!
I started with the pink set of cookies and a size 2 tip, since I didn't have a size 1.5.  My icing was a runnier consistency since I had mixed what I used to flood the cookies back with the thicker icing. I switched to size 1 and still found the icing a little too thin and wanting to bleed out when it hit the cookie, so returned the icing to the bowl to tighten it up a bit. It piped out beautifully after that. Unfortunately, being first, the pink cookies suffered a little.
I moved on to the purple set of cookies and discovered the loops weren't quite working for me with this icing still, so decided to cut my losses and stop with the loops for now. I love the lines and the polka dots and continued that theme on the teal cookies as well.
  I am really starting to enjoy decorating cookies, my old nemesis, and now finding it more therapeutic than challenging. My daughter decorated her Salted Dough Cookie Ornaments, while I decorated these. We had so much fun together decorating side by side. While I am still not a cookie person yet, thanks to the cookie people out their I am definitely getting more confident with my cookie decorating!
  
Recipes used for these cookies:
Bakerella Gingerbread Cookies
Wilton Royal Icing (thinned)

 
Pin It

Featured at:
Days of Chalk and Chocolate
A Well-Seasoned Life

17 comments:

  1. Great job. I love the unusual colors.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAy to go! Love the different designs......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfect! Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! they look great! merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore the colors, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what patience you must have. These are beautiful. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely stunning!!! Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the plaid cookies, and the non-traditional color palette is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. YOu are incredible!! I hope you keep all these photos so when you get a cookbook deal you'll be ready! I am so glad you linked up. Going to check out more goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are amazingly cute! Very fun colors indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cool, hip colors! Stop by my linky party if you get a chance.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/12/sweet-indulgences-sunday-36.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your cookies look. Totally psychedelic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great piping! I love the colors and designs. So pretty! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything you make is amazing! I featured you this week! I'm so glad you linked up and I hope to see you this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/12/latest-and-greatest-friday-12-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute cookies! I love the colour combo. for Christmas! Thanks for linking to me btw. - I'm so glad my posts were helpful to you. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...