Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Mimosa Cupcakes

New Year's Mimosa Cupcakes
(slightly adapted from the Betty Crocker Big Book of Cupcakes)
1 box of Betty Crocker White Cake Mix
3/4 cup of champagne or ginger ale (I used ginger ale)
1/2 cup orange juice (I used fresh squeezed orange juice)
1 tsp grated orange peel
3 egg whites
1/3 cup oil

Mix together all ingredients in mixer on low for 30 seconds, scrapping sides when needed. Turn mixer to medium and mix an additional 2 minutes. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 18 minutes. Cool completely.
Look at these gorgeous oranges I used in both the cupcake and the frosting straight from my Mom's backyard!
New Year's Mimosa Frosting
6 cups of powdered sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened (I used margarine)
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (I used 2 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons champagne or ginger ale (I used ginger ale)
2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice (I used fresh squeezed)
 
In mixer on low mix together all ingredients until creamy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
I piped the frosting with a Wilton 1M  tip and sprinkled with additional grated orange peel and Wilton Edible Star Glitter on top.
Using a snipped off zipper bag filled with orange candy melts, I piped 2012 onto wax paper. I also underlined the date and made a little stem to insert it into the cupcake. Let set up in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes and then insert into cupcake.
I have never tried a Mimosa, so not sure what these should taste like, having nothing to compare it to. The cake has a mild orange flavor, the frosting has a stronger flavor. Together the combo reminds us of orange sherbet or orange creamsicle and taste perfect! We all really liked it!
Happy New Years Eve!

 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, now these sound amazing. And you should definitely try a mimosa - make it an overnight! Get someone to watch the kiddos overnight, because it's a perfect romantic breakfast thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look and sound amazing! I'll bet the orange and ginger ale combination is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness those cupcakes look FABULOUS! I'm so excited to be your newest follower! I need a "sweets" friend!!! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a sweet note! I'm excited to be inspired by you in 2012!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, and they sound really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Rook No 17's A Little Birdie Told Me...mimosas...yum! My favorite. I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound very good. Love the writing of 2012. I'll have two please with my tea. Best wishes for the new year! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute post! I'm having a Linky party too! I would love it if you would link up your favorite posts. Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! I have some champagne left over that needs to get used...maybe I'll try these. :) Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Your cupcakes look amazing, as always! And the oranges are gorgeous, how fun to pick them from your Mom's tree!
    Thanks for joining us on Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!!Look so delicious & pretty!!Great for the new year table....
    Thanks a lot for linking with Midweek Fiesta,Hope to see you on this week too...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great idea and wonderful presentation for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very delish! Please share at my party Taste This Thursday!
    www.bellmiracle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your sweet comments! Due to the high amount of spam I have been receiving, I am now having to moderate all comments. Inappropriate comments or solicitations will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...